Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of some suggestions

Default In need of some suggestions

Hi all! My four month old DD has decided that she only "wants" to nurse 2-4 times a day. She's taking the remainder of her meals from a bottle (always EBM-never formula). We initially started offering a bottle at about six weeks so that DH could help out with feedings while I did housework, ran errands, etc. I know that a lot of times once a baby has a bottle they don't want to go back to the breast due to nipple confusion. I don't think that's the issue we're having because during the times she does nurse, she latches like an old pro and nurses for 20-45 minutes on average. She mostly uses nursing when she's trying to go down for a nap or in the morning. It's kind of become a routine for her over the last couple of weeks. Any other time that I try and offer my breast, she gets REALLY upset, kicking, screaming, etc. As soon as I offer the bottle (because I can't let her be hungry) she settles right down. I guess I don't mind this new routine but it does kind of hurt my feelings when she gets so upset when I'm offering my breast. So, if anyone has any suggestions for me to try and get her back to breastfeeding more frequently, I would really appreciate them!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: In need of some suggestions

I think for many babies it is not so much "nipple confusion" as "nipple preference". It is much easier to get the milk out of the bottle than out of the breast, so baby starts preferring the easier method when hungry. I have not dealt with this personally but I know several other mothers who have. If you don't want to take away the bottles (which I understand could cause a very upset baby for awhile), I would at least make sure you are using nipples with the smallest hole available. You could also try to offer the breast in between feedings, before baby is REALLY hungry.

Default Re: In need of some suggestions

We're using the slowest flow nipples they make for the Avent bottles we use and I've tried offering the breast in between feeds (before she's really hungry) and I get the same ticked off baby! I swear this child definitely has a mind of her own...she wants what she wants 10 seconds before I get it to her. LOL! I'm going to keep trying. If she doesn't go back to the breast more frequently at least I know she's eating enough and she's still getting breast milk, even if it is from a bottle...
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)