Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice about Introducing Food (Low Milk Supply)

Default Need Advice about Introducing Food (Low Milk Supply)

I have a son who is almost 4 months old. He has been gaining weight fairly slowly. He was born Jan. 12 at 7lbs 5oz. Yesterday he was weighed at 11lbs 4oz. My dilema is do I introduce food at 4 months? I have heard some say 4 months and others 6 months. I am not sure what is the best course of action? Will the slow weight gain negatively affect my son? He is meeting all developmental milestones.

Background:
    I have been exclusively bfing him since he was 2.5 weeks old. He was born with tongue-tie, and unable to latch for the first 2.5 weeks. During this time I pumped 8-10 times a day, but never with great success (max 1-1.5 ounces per session). He was supplemented with formula during the first 2.5 weeks.

I was off work for a 12 week leave. I am now back 3 days a week. I pump two times at work with an Ameda Purely Yours pump. I can only pump 2-3 ounces total per session. I bf my son on my lunch hour. I also pump 1-2X a day after or between nursing sessions to get enough milk to leave 2 - 3.5 ounce bottles for him while I'm at work.

We usually nurse 8-9 times a day. It is difficult to do it more often as he takes 25-30 minutes per breast.

Also, I have tried everything to boost my supply. (Reglan, Domperidone, Mother's Milk tea, Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Hops, Fennel, etc.)

My husband is tall and slim. I am also tall with an average build.

Default Re: Need Advice about Introducing Food (Low Milk Supply)

Congratulations to you for breastfeeding through those difficult times and really working it out! That can be tough and you are determined!

The best way to boost your supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse. LLL recommends waiting to introduce solids until at least around 6 months. An already-dwindling supply can really go downhill if solids are introduced before the supply is established fully.

The rule of thumb really is that if he is developmentally on track and he is having regular bowel movements and urinary output, his weight, at his age, is not generally going to be of concern.

This article is really a wonderful point of reference for starting solids: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

I nurse him as much as I can. Often times I'll initiate it before he shows signs of hunger. After > 12 weeks of nursing I'd think my supply is as established as it is going to get. His output (wet & dirty diapers) seems good. Do you think there could be another reason he's so small?

Also, I heard that the World Health Org. (WHO) is issuing new height/weight charts. Has anyone seen these or know where to find them online?

Oh yes, I heard about new charts by WHO in cooperation with LLL. I tried to find them in the website of the WHO but with no success... maybe later. If I find them I will write you and I will post the link into this thread.
    I'm also using fenugreek and fennel: what is the Mother's Milk? A kind of tea?

Thank you for posting the links!

Oh, it seems that my baby is under the 50th percentile in the weight chart.
    She's more or less 5.400 kg, and she will be 3 months old next 8 of May.
    But she doesn't want to eat more. I'm nursing and nursing her all the day. I think she likes the foremilk and prefers to take the hindmilk only three, four time per day. This is why I'm pumping when she sleeps at night...

I just wanted to post a follow-up. My DS went to his 4-month check up. He weighs about 12 pounds now. Still on the small side, but the doctor is not concerned. He told me it's better to be slim and healthy than chubby and healthy, even for babies. One good thing happened. DS was weighed, nursed and weighed again. 5 ounces heavier on the second weighing. It pleasantly surprised me as I usually can only pump 2-3 ounces. 4 ounces is the max and that was for a missed feeding.

Also, the doctor said to wait on introducing food until about 6 months.

Thanks everyone for your support