Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: postpartum anxiety

Default Re: postpartum anxiety

Hope the Zoloft is quick to work for you!! It took me a good three, almost four weeks before I noticed a significant difference in my overall emotional state. At least hearing you're about to your pre-preg weight has to make you feel good-it did me!!

Good luck!!
    Last edited by @llli*bnbsmomma; May 1st, 2006 at 05:56 AM.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Good to hear the medication is doing well for you. I battled the same thing - but wanted to try to avoid the perscription route if possible. I started taking 5-HTP and Omega-3 and man what a difference!!

Good luck to you!!

I am with Jeffs_hope on the natural suppliments. There is a really good discussion group on mothering.com strictly devoted to ppd. You can find women who take prescription meds as well as those who are just using natural suppliments. I found it to be very helpful.

My ppd is mainly anxiety related too, it is weird how many different ways it can effect people.

Hello Everybody!

I am very new to this website, I just joined a few minutes ago. After reading all the postings I realized, thank God, I am not alone. I have a 15 weeks old daughter, and today was my first day when I was feeling out of my old self. I could not figure out what was wrong with me, but then it hit me, that I might be suffering from postpartum anxiety. I have an 8 year old son, and with him I was perfectly fine. My daughter just went through a cold and and infection.
    Do you think that it could affect this to happen, or would this anxiety have happened anyway?
    Please, give me some pointers what I should do next??? I was thinking to call my doctor first thing in the morning.
    I need help, and some advice. Andi

Hi Andi, I haven't been here (on the LLL site) in ages due to a move and other things that keep my schedule pretty full but I was still subbed to this thread and wanted to reply. Plus it reminded me that I need to come back to post!

My little guy is now almost 15 months old and that goodness my PPA has subsided finally. But it took a lot of work to get here.

My PPA kicked in "later" like yours and I have a good friend who also suffers from PPA/PPD who didn't start noticing it really until her babe was several months old.

I would talk with family if at all possible. Do you have a lot on your plate right now? Are you overwhelmed, stressed, upset? All of those can aggravate the symptoms greatly. I used the natural suppliments, and they were enough for me however I know people who have truely needed the medication and it was pretty much a life saver for them. That will have to be your call. The people here are awesome, so post often Feel free to PM me with any questions about what I was taking...

Thumbs up Re: postpartum anxiety

Hi yogachick79!

You don't know how happy I was to see your posting. Ever since I put my posting on which was last night, I checked the computer every 20 minutes, to see if there is any answer.
    I contacted our local health unit, and a "Healthy Baby Nurse" will come out on Friday to see me. Today I feel much better, I went out, because my daughter had a doctor's appointment, so that helped me not to think of it all the time. I am going to make some changes in my life for the time being. As the nurse said don't have big expectations. And I am kind of like that. I like my home nice and tidy, dishes done, etc. But those things can wait. The priority is me and the baby right now. I have to start getting used to the idea not to sweat the little things.
    You said you took some natural supplement. What was it? Is it safe to just start taking it without consulting my doctor? If I can get through it without heavy medication that would be my goal. But who knows, this is something that is going on in our body and we can not really do anything about it.
    Like I said: thanks for your response, and keep in touch:
    Andi from Canada

Hey Andi.
    I just saw your post and wanted to say hey! I know whats its like to want a clean house and everything perfect...for me I feel like I can't enjoy other things unless everything is "just so" I am slowly learning that sometimes only one room of the house can be clean If that...do you have a DH/SO who can help out with cleaning so you can just enjoy time with LO...also it really helps me to get out by myself...even for an hour. I usually try to go the gym...I am lucky that DH can watch our LO....I am also definitely for the more natural methods & supplements...although I know drugs have their place...I just think people are over prescribed these days Anyway, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum! Where in Canada are you from??

Thumbs up Re: postpartum anxiety

Hi Kristin,

It was nice to see your posting. Thanks a lot! Thanks for the advices, they really help me a whole lot. I am from Brantford, which is an 1 1/2 hour drive from Toronto. I moved here 9 years ago from Hungary. I got married to my husband here in Canada, who is Hungarian also. Unfortunatelly, I do not have a whole lot of help at the moment, but I try to sum up some friends just to get together. There is a centre here too, I just found out where I can go and get together with other moms and their little ones.
    Unfortunatelly, my family lives overseas, but my husband is a great support, thank God, he is very positive and very supportive of my situation. Do you know any of the natural supplements?

Talk to you soon, Andi

Hey Andi, oh I know those days of refreshing the screen just to see if anyone knew I was out there . I am just glad that I was still subbed to the thread! Now I can at least respond on my lunch breaks.

As far as the suppliments I made sure that I was taking a really good multi-vit and a prenatal would probably be a good option there. Also getting enough fatty acids (fish or flax oil) was essential. Along with those it was 5-HTP and a B complex. It took a little over a month to see the big changes but I really felt so much better.

I still take a lot of vitamins but no longer feel that I need the 5-HTP. And yes, trust me hun we ALL obsess over the house and how aweful it can get while we are adjusting to parenting. That STILL gets to me and we have been going for more than a year. But that will all come, rest and enjoy motherhood as much as possible.

Again, feel free to PM me.
    carrie

Post Re: postpartum anxiety

Hi there Carrie,

I will definetly try the natural supplements what you have suggested, but I have to add that I feel so much better. I truly just look after baby Abbey, and the rest can wait. My husband is the "king" in the kitchen lately. Luckily, my daughter is back to her old self, so I have less to worry about. Thanks again for your advices.

Talk to you.............Andi