Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: postpartum anxiety

Question postpartum anxiety

I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes
    the past few weeks ive been feeling not quite right. I read all about ppd, and i dont think thats what im dealing with. I think i might have postpartum anxiety/panic. I am going to see my dr next week about it, but has anyone every dealt with this. How was it treated? Is there a resource on this condition on the website?
    tia
    gabby

Smile Re: postpartum anxiety

Hi! I'm no expert, but I read this and I know that after my twins were born I was completely LOONEY! It was almost a year before I went to my doctor and got medication...it was like waking up from a nightmare! I just had my third child last August, and this time I knew what to expect, but I also was on my medication and it made an enormous difference. I just feel more able to cope and enjoy everything...you can't enjoy a newborn when your not right yourself! Are you a first time mom? I just know that the first one is such a life altering experience...nothing is ever the same. I guess some people are able to deal with that can of change, but I wasn't. I got help and I am so glad I did!

Default Re: postpartum anxiety

oh, i didnt know that there was anything you could take while bf-ing. I had panic attacks in the past, but thry gave me xanax and i know thats a no-no.
    i have a 9 year old also, but i think the anxiety has come along since then.
    i am just totally freaking out...i can't sleep(and leif is sleeping throught the night most of the time)i lay awake at night thinking about death. isnt that horrible. anything from accidents to murder to miscarriage, and im not even pg, but i think about next time...i lay awake thinking about it and wake up having nightmares about it.
    i am at my wits end
    oh and i'm havinf panic attacks in the car, if leif cries and i cant get to him...
    ugh

I am so sorry! That sounds completely miserable. Surely there is something that you could take while breastfeeding! I have little panic attacks, but nothing major. Mine is mostly depression. I did take Xanax when my twins were babies, but I wasn't lucky enough to breastfeed them. I take Celexa, and have been told by my ob/gyn that it is ok to take while bfeeding. I wish I could offer more insight...I just saw your plea and know how it is when you're waiting for an answer. I posted a question about a nursing strike and still haven't received a response. Hang in there...I'm sure an answer is coming! How old is Leif? I love that name!

he will be 3 months old on saturday. he loves to eat so i dont know anything about nursing strikes yet.

Hi Gabby! I completely understand where you are coming from with the anxiety issue. After DD was born, I constantly felt on edge (I explained it to my doc that I felt as if I was getting ready to give a speech to thousands of people and I hate public speaking). I was just jittery all of the time from the anxiety. Then there were times that I would have panic attacks. I also had a bit of post partum depression. After speaking with my doctor I am now taking Zoloft and it seems to be helping a great deal. Zoloft is also considered the safest anxiety/depression medicine for use by breastfeeding mothers. I hope that you are able to get some help and work through this!! Keep us updated!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

I just saw my doctor yesterday about ppd. I have been having the exact same problem. The night before last I laid in bed for 5 straight hours trying to sleep--it is so frustrating. But I have other symptoms of depression too--irritability, hopelessness, etc. I have also been gaining weight, not losing. anyway...I am starting with a counselor next week and he gave me a prescription for lexapro. He said that was safe, but would really like to be reassured by someone with a Hale's book. I am surprised no one has responded to your thread already, in regards to what's safest!!!

And not that i am happy that you are suffering with these problems, but I am really glad to know that I am not alone, because I really feel that way sometimes.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Gabby,

I replied to your previous post regarding insomnia. Please do ask your doctor to get the bloodwork done for thyroid function. I had the exact same sympotms you're describing: anxiety, panic, irritability and those horrible thoughts! I was also tired all the time, couldn't even think of starting any exercise routine, it was hard to even go out for a walk around the block with the baby.
    Post partum thyroid dysfunction is often mistaken for ppd, because the sympstoms can be quite similar in a lot of ways. Be sure you rule out thyroid problems before taking any anidepressant! Thyroid levels can be checked with a simple blood test. Here is a link for more reading:
    http://www.thyroid.org/patients/pati...ostpartum.html

I still have to take thyroid hormones and check the levels every 2 months, but I feel really good and I'm almost back to my pre-preg size!

epbrown,

I think you should also consider checking your thyroid levels. Problems with weight loss are more of a symptom of thyroiditis than ppd. A lot of doctors are eager to prescribe antidepressants to new moms these days without even sending them for a comprehensive blood work to rule out other causes.

Well I went in to see my dr today and he did give me zoloft, and suggested that I try to get out of te house more. He even sugested that maybe i go back to work part time HAHAHA fat chance!!!!
    I am going back in 2 weeks though so ill ask him about thyroid. I think he figured ppd since i have been diagnosed with depression before. Thanks for all you help,answers, and support.
    on a positive note i'm about to pre-pg weight