Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bfing and low milk supply

Default Bfing and low milk supply

Ok I have always had a low thyroid function for me. Even though testing shows me in normal levels I have all the signs and symtoms of hypothyroid. My pcp believes since I am young it can be my thyroid starting to fail or that it's a bit lower than my body needs it to be. Both I can do nothing about at this point because I am technically normal. I am pregnant with my 3rd lo due 08/31/2007 . My problem has always been low milk supply never had latch issues no pain or soreness, so I have always had to supplement first with ebm then formula as a last resort. I have spoken with LLL consulants during previous Bfing. Since being in the forums I have learned about Fenugreek and am very pleased with all the info here. My question is when should I begin taking it? After delivery or after my milk comes in? I want the best start without having to pump or formula feed. Also am I correct with the dose 3 pills 3 times a day so that would be 9 ? Just for more info I didn't supplement until my dd (4yrs) lost a considerable amount of weight and went 3 days with no pooping. I had her on my breast every hour as long as she wanted my ds(9yrs) was in nicu for 2 weeks so we didn't get off to the greatest start. I was heartbroken when I was unsuccessful with my dd she was a very healthy full term baby. This time around I want the least amount of interuptions. Thanks

Rebecca

Default Re: Bfing and low milk supply

Bravo and for your dedication to your little ones!

Here is some info about increasing your supply from kelly mom.

I would also recommend Mother's Milk Tea (made by www.TraditionalMedicinals.com available at a health food store). It contains medicinal grade fenugreek. There are also things you can avoid, like peppermint and sage tea which are used to decrease supply.

HTH

I just found this accidentally but it might be relevant for you.

http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl12.htm

Since being in the forums I have learned about Fenugreek and am very pleased with all the info here. My question is when should I begin taking it? After delivery or after my milk comes in? I want the best start without having to pump or formula feed. Also am I correct with the dose 3 pills 3 times a day so that would be 9 ?
    I'd STRONGLY suggest that you get ahold of an IBCLC in your area and give her your entire history and go from there. She can tell you if fenugreek is appropriate and in what dosage. You might consider getting a second opinion about your thryoid issue as well.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks so much everybody! I was thinking about changing my pcp because he doesn't ever believe a problem exsists. I just want whats best for my new lo if its preventable then I want to prevent it ...LOL