Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow weight gain, green poop and possible fast let down problem-HELP, I've had it!

Unhappy Slow weight gain, green poop and possible fast let down problem-HELP, I've had it!

Hello,
    My 12 week old DD was putting on weight just fine during first 2 months (Birth weight 8 lbs, at two months 10.3lb).

In the third month,I spent a week trying to get her to take a bottle of EBM once a day (she refused), I gave up as she had lost weight that week. She continued to gained very slowly for the following two weeks.

Now at the end of three months, she has put on just half a lb in the month (she weighs 10.8lbs). She has grown 1.5 inches but her head circ grew only
    0.25 inch. Apart from that, she is super active, she turned on her tummy for the first time at 9 weeks, and I think that she is burning up calories faster than she can take them in.

She had a growth spurt 2 wks ago and since then, she coughs, sputters and pulls off the breast frequently - I think I am having fast let down issues as the milk is dribbling down and squirts when I press the nipple (this never happened before, just since growth spurt). she is also getting gas recently and needs much more burping. Despite more milk, feeding takes longer as she keeps pulling off and 'coming up for air'. She feeds first at 7.45am, last around 7pm, DF at 10.30, wakes at around 4am (7 feeds in total)

I have tried demand feeding, she would eat every 1.5-2 hours for a couple of minutes and then stop. Then had mucousy green poos (the last three in 12 hours, she normally has only one poo per day!).

I'm really frustrated - I'm BFing for her health but it doesn't seem to be going very well lately. If anyone can help with the following that would be great.

First: What should I do about the green poo?

Next: does it sound like I have fast letdown (How come it starts at 12weeks when it should be slowing down then?) and what do I do about it? I read that it might help to express some out first - when do I know to stop and let her start feeding and can I feed her the expressed milk since it is just foremilk?

Lastly:what should I do about her weight gain (I know that bf babies slow down at 3-4 months, but this has been a little too abrupt, even my doctor who is very supportive of BF thinkso). I can't supplement with EBM cos she refuses the bottle vigorously!

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Ro

Default Re: Slow weight gain, green poop and possible fast let down problem-HELP, I've had it!

I'm late for a meeting but wanted to chime in quickly and say that this sounds like a classic simple case of overactive let-down and oversupply. Try block feeding your baby -- use one breast to nurse from for a period of 3 to 4 hours. So, for instance from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., nurse only from the left breast even if baby needs to nurse 10 times in that period. Then, from 12 to 3, nurse only from the right breast. This will help decrease your supply a bit and make it so baby gets more hindmilk rather than foremilk (the probably cause for her green poop and slow weight gain).

Other's will probably expand on my suggestions here -- sorry I had to be so brief!

Good luck!

Wink Re: Slow weight gain, green poop and possible fast let down problem-HELP, I've had it!

Ro - I know what you are feeling! HANG IN THERE AND DON'T GIVE UP JUST YET! I went through the same thing after a growth spurt, except my princess was 3 weeks young, did not sputter or spit and I did not spray. It will get better! I never thought it would and I was so readyto quit, but I am so stubborn, was determined to make it to at least 4 months, and wanted to be able to provide her with the best. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

It is OALD - Over Active Let Down. If you do a search you will see a thread I posted around the same time I had the issues.... titled "Please Explain OALD" read through it and you may find the help others provided for me quite useful for you and your princess. I know I certainly did!

Here is some information I found useful in my 3 week struggle:

OALD...this is when a mothers milk rushes forth really fast with the letdown. It usually is related to oversupply.
    For some mothers, the symptoms in baby can appear around 3-6 weeks of age. Some symptoms of OALD are:
    Baby gasps, chokes, sputters, coughs, or strangles as though the milk is coming out too fast
    Baby is gassy, "colicy", or frequently spits up
    Baby clamps down on the nipple (to slow the milk flow)
    Baby expresses a dislike for comfort nursing
    Baby "wrestles" at the breast (feeding is like an Olympic sport)
    Baby comes on the breast, pulls off, cries as if starving, goes back on nipple, cries...

Does any of this sound familiar?

Here is a very good resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Oct95p69a.html
    And you can find more related articles here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html

This is NOT a LLL resource - but is a awesome article on OALD and green poo (Diane Wiessinger, the author, is a LLL Leader):
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/gulping.html

For me the things that worked best for her were: Feeding her while I was lying down with her on top (felt so weird, but gravity I think helped), a week of block feeding, Determination, Being able to cry on my husbands shoulder to express my frustration with BF, Probiotics for her - 1/2 tsp of Acidopholis in morning and 1/2 tsp at night (this helped with her digestive system), Noni juice (personal for us!!), and pumping out 1/2 ounce before feeding.

I have tried demand feeding, she would eat every 1.5-2 hours for a couple of minutes and then stop. Then had mucousy green poos (the last three in 12 hours, she normally has only one poo per day!). That is because she is getting too much of the foremilk with has a high amount of lactose in it and not enough of the hind milk.....

I'm really frustrated - I'm BFing for her health but it doesn't seem to be going very well lately. If anyone can help with the following that would be great. I undserstand and felt your frustration! IT WILL GET BETTER!

First: What should I do about the green poo? Do your best to help her get as much of the hind milk as possible and you will see her poo begin to go back to normal.

Next: does it sound like I have fast letdown (How come it starts at 12weeks when it should be slowing down then?) and what do I do about it? I read that it might help to express some out first - when do I know to stop and let her start feeding and can I feed her the expressed milk since it is just foremilk? If she is having issues with Green poo, I would not feed her the EBM! Just collect it and freeze it and later you can mix with cereal when you begin feeding her that.

Lastly:what should I do about her weight gain (I know that bf babies slow down at 3-4 months, but this has been a little too abrupt, even my doctor who is very supportive of BF thinkso). I can't supplement with EBM cos she refuses the bottle vigorously!

Hang in there! When you are able to get the OALD issue resolved, she will begin getting more of the hind milk that is more fatty and helps put on the weight. I would give it a month or two.... at least she has still gained and is not loosing!

If you need to vent, would like more help, have more questions or just need someone to talk to, please feel free to send me and email!

Hope this helps you some!

Jenn Parker - Tahitian Noni Distributor - www.jennparker.com
    Ever wonder what the "99.9% other ingredients" are in your Laundry and cleaning products?
    Ask me how to get Chemical free, better, safer, less expensive cleaning
    and laundry care products delivered to your door step.
    www.iwantsafeproducts.com 540-222-1181
    Last edited by mamajenn; April 27th, 2006 at 09:07 AM.

Default Re: Slow weight gain, green poop and possible fast let down problem-HELP, I've had it!

Dear Carol and Jenn,

Thanks so much for your responses. I spoke to a LLL leader to confirm what I had thought and you both had pretty much written the same. I just wanted to share what I have done for the last two days which may help someone else.

I have been feeding lying down with her climbing on top, also block feeding, 3 hours on one breast, then swap to the other. When baby pulls off the breast and there is milk dripping, I squeeze it off (literally for about fifteen seconds) till things calm down and then I let her feed again. I also burped her more regularly - this helped a lot with the spit ups she was having.

The result is no more green poos... YAY! and she has put on 60gms in the last two days (ca 2ozs). If she continues like this, I may have to post again cos baby too big .

I told my daughter that if she hit 5kgs by her 3 month birthday on Sat, I will return the weighing scale that I am renting (She hates being weighed), fingers crossed!

Thank you both again so much. What a great community.

Rgds
    Ro

Quote Originally Posted by flowerdrago

The result is no more green poos... YAY! and she has put on 60gms in the last two days (ca 2ozs). If she continues like this, I may have to post again cos baby too big .

I told my daughter that if she hit 5kgs by her 3 month birthday on Sat, I will return the weighing scale that I am renting (She hates being weighed), fingers crossed!
    Lol
    We had the same issue, but I saw you already had great replies. (will have to read the links myself in case of another growth spurt!)
    Anyway, your promise made me smile. Thanks for brightening my day.