Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worrying and need answers

Default worrying and need answers

I have been exclusivley breast feeding my 7 week old and have some concerns on pumping & storing for going back to work, my current milk supply and overactive let down. First off, I want to increase my milk supply and start storing. Recently I have been pumping after feedings for about 15 min to try to increase my supply. How long do I have to do this before I notice an increase? I hardley get anything maybe 1 oz if I am lucky and I have been continuing to pump even after nothing comes out. Is this really effective? I have come to believe that I have a overactive let down. Belle will often choke on milk, gasp for air and milk will shoot out if she detaches herself. Sometimes she does a good job at feeding completely thru the let down other times seem to frustrate her. Seems like after my let down she will only feed for a short time after and then just comfort suck herself to sleep. Could this be b/c she isn't getting much after my let down? She also seems to be colicky with stints of fussiness and crying. I think the overactive let down is causing her to be gasy. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please. I just can't seem to stop worrying about my milk supply and this overactive let down. I need some words of wisdom to raise my spirits!

Thanks!
    Belles Mommy

Default Re: worrying and need answers

do you have a LOcal LLL leader to call and talk too?
    she can help over the phone beter then we can on-line.

what kind of pump do you have?
    Are you getting one oz every time you pump, how often are you pumping?
    How often is baby nursing?

I haven't contacted anyone yet but will today. I have a madela pump in style advanced. I am pumping about three times a day after feedings. I don't get 1 oz evertyime. Sometimes I get a little more and sometimes less. It seems to depend on if she has had a good nursing (not getting fussy). I don't have a schedule or a routine down yet I just do it whenever I have time. Belle gets fussy during feedings sometimes and by the time I get her to calm down it's almost time for another feeding. She nurses every 3 hrs give or take 30 min. If she gets fussy sometimes a feeding is pushed off an hour or two if she is really bad.

A couple of quick things I can think of...I'm supposed to be out the door in a minute

Have you tried feeding her more often instead of so spaced out? The longer you go inbetween feedings, you more likely you are to be overly full or engorged. The more frequent feedings may cut down of the huge spray of milk she gets...it may also help to settle her down because she isn't trying to nurse when she is frantically starving. This worked wonders for my little guy when I had OS/OALD. Also, don't worry too much about "every 3 hours" or a rigid schedule...feed her when she tells you she's hungry. Try to catch her when she first starts making you aware of her hunger...not when she's crying to eat.

2. I would try to pump first thing in the morning before she's nursed if you can. I always got the most amount during this time. I also loved pumping right before bed. This ensured that I was going to bed "empty" so to speak, and was thus pretty comfortable. As he started sleeping through the night, I would nurse him around 8 and then pump around 10 during the news. Then I'd have some EBM for the next day if I needed it.

HTH. Let us know if/when things get better.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks for the pointers Leslie!

I am trying to feed her more often and I am seeing a noticable differance in my OALD. I wanted to try to pump this morning before she woke up to eat but she got ME up. I'm not a morning person... Anyway I will keep trying to get up before she does in the AM. One question I have is do you pump literly right before she wants to eat or do you usually have a one hour gap between when you pumped and then fed? Sounds like you have a really good schedule. This is something I need to start working on especial since I have to go back to work in about 4 weeks. Thanks for your help!

Nicole

When I was pumping (we just finished nursing about 1 week ago) I would TRY to wake up before he did. It didn't always work. I truely was a freak though. I was always worried about not having enough...so I would randomly wake up at 4am, eat a few crackers, sit at the computer and type on these message boards and pump. 8 ozs in about 12 minutes. It was nice. I know, freak. MOST of the time, I'd get up early early in the am, pump, and then go back to bed until he woke me to eat or I had to wake him to make him eat so that we could go to work.

Another option is to just feed her on one side and pump the other at the same time...or feed her first on one side, burp her and put her in a swing/bouncy seat while you pump the other side. I would try all this first thing in the am if you can. That is what worked for us. Let us know what you find that works for you guys!

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Geez 8 oz in 12 min! I wish! Hopefully I can get my supply up a little and start storing. I will definitely try your suggestions. I really like this forum! So just out of curiosity what do you do? I am supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks and I REALLY don't want to be away from her.

Thanks!!!!
    Nicole

Well, 3 weeks after he was born I went back to babysitting triplets 8am-noon. Then when he was 6 months old I went back to babysitting the same triplets fulltime, 45hrs/week.

As of the beginning of may I have been teaching preschool at a Christian daycare in town and I bring my son with me. It has done a world of good for both of us. It was hard at first...more for him than me. I desperately needed a break...but it took a few weeks for him to adjust. Now he dives out of my arms to go play when we get to work.

How's the pumping working out for you?

**Leslie**

Mama to: