Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hair loss

Default Hair loss

I have a (almost) 5mo old DD. I am nursing and just started apple b/c she is very small.
    Anyway I am loosing my hair like crazy...I think I am getting bold.
    Does anyone use any remedies?

My girlfriend told me to get folic acid.
    Any suggestion?

thanks

Default Re: Hair loss

I have started losing a lot of hair too. This started around three months post partum. You most likely aren't going bald though...when you're pregnant, your body retains more hair that it normally would. Once you get to a certain point post partum, you start to lose it all at once making it seem like you're losing more than you should when in reality you're just shedding the excess that you kept during pregnancy. I know how you feel though, I've clogged up the bathroom drain!! I just keep taking my prenatal vitamin to ensure that I've got adequate nutrition, it also contains folic acid...
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

I believe this is a normal thing a few months postpartum. I don't remember it happening to me, but I've heard about hair loss from lots of new-mommy friends.

--Rebecca

I had the same problem. We actually had to have roto-rooter come to clean the bathtub pipes out.

I'm now 8 months postpartum (today actually) and it's almost stopped. It slowed down considerably in the last two months.

Don't worry!

Oh my goodness! This is happening to me too! My daughter is 6 months old now and this has been going on since about the 4th month... when will it end?! When I'm bald?! Like the previous post said, I just keep taking my prenatal vitamins and try to make sure I'm eating right... I figure if it's still going on in another couple months I'll go to the doc and have him check me out...

I actually was talking with my mom about this the other evening. She said that after giving birth her hair loss always seemed like a little more than the normal amount (prior to pregnancy). But, her point was that it's been going on for almost 27 years and she's not bald yet! Pregnancy and its hormones does all sorts of wacky things to our bodies!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

It's totally normal and starts to happen for women pretty much any time between months 2 and 8 post-partum! It has to do with some of your hormones starting to go back to pre-pregnancy levels and your body not being in "growth/retention only" mode like it is when you are growing baby. You may find that the texture of your hair is different when all is said and done - some women find it coarser, some finer, some more curly some more straight, but I'm almost willing to bet you won't go bald! A pp's suggestion of continuing to take prenatal vitamins while you are nursing is a great one; it will help keep your calcium, iron and folic acid levels up while your body is being a food source for your babe! Best of luck..........
    J'smom
    Last edited by jsmom; April 27th, 2006 at 10:31 AM.