Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Selecting the best retail breast pump

Default Selecting the best retail breast pump

Does anyone know which retail breast pump is the best to use? I have a hospital grade Medela Lactina Pump for when I'm at home, but I'm back at work now and need to purchase something like a Pump In Style for when I'm on business travel next week and in July.

I see several out there and I'm only familiar with the Pump In Style.
    Is there really a huge difference between the Pump In Style Original and the Pump In Style Advanced? The price difference is about $100.

What about these other pumps? Such as:
    Playtex Embrace Breast Pump System
    The First Years Natural Comfort Premium Doable Breast Pump
    Evenflo Elan Nursing System Advanced Digital Dual Breast Pump
    Evenflo Comfort Select Dual Electric Breast Pump
    Lansinoh Lightweight Double Electric Breast Pump System

There are more to list and they're all much cheaper than the Pump In Style by Medela, so I'm wondering if they're a lot less effective or not.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

Default Re: Selecting the best retail breast pump

I see several out there and I'm only familiar with the Pump In Style.
    Is there really a huge difference between the Pump In Style Original and the Pump In Style Advanced? The price difference is about $100.

It's not a huge difference, really. The advanced has a let-down mode (to initiate let-down when you first start pumping) and I think they might have a fancier bag. That's about it. The original PIS is still a very good pump.

What about these other pumps? Such as:
    Playtex Embrace Breast Pump System I personally wouldn't recommend.
    The First Years Natural Comfort Premium Doable Breast Pump Definitely don't recommend.
    Evenflo Elan Nursing System Advanced Digital Dual Breast Pump Some mothers like it, but others have reported nipple bruising and that it didn't get as much milk as they expected (as compared to the PIS or PY).
    Evenflo Comfort Select Dual Electric Breast Pump Don't recommend.
    Lansinoh Lightweight Double Electric Breast Pump System Is this the purple pump? If so, it's just the same as the Ameda Purely Yours. Both are very effective pumps, and are cheaper than the PIS.

There are more to list and they're all much cheaper than the Pump In Style by Medela, so I'm wondering if they're a lot less effective or not.

Here's a good rule of thumb--if the pump is manufactured by a company that primarily produces bottle feeding products, it may not be the best choice for a breast pump.

Have you heard of epinions (www.epinions.com)? You might check out user reviews for the pumps you're interested in there. Amazon (www.amazon.com) also has user reviews.

This info might help:
    http://www.leron-line.com/updates/Breast_Pumps.htm

HTH! And if you need more info, LMK!

Default Re: Selecting the best retail breast pump

I used a PIS for my older daughter and thought it was great, although I was able to leave it at the office which made the daily commuting easier. I also just bought a PISA because I still wanted to have one pump at home and one at the office. With the PIS the letdown is a little bit quicker and I think I have more control regarding the speed and pressure. The PISA still throws me for a loop because I have to wait a minute or so to get the letdown but once that happens, it seems that the rest of the milk comes out pretty quickly. There is only one control mechanism for speed and I sometimes think that I need it to be a little stronger, although it does not take me any longer to use the PISA.

What I really like is that the PISA has the motor device in its own little bag so it takes up less space wherever I have it stored.