Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Airline Travel and Breastfeeding

Default Airline Travel and Breastfeeding

I will be traveling to Hawaii (yeah!) in June. We have bought our wee daughter an airline seat and will be using her car seat on the flight. My question is - how do I ensure she is swallowing/drinking for landing and takeoff to keep her ears equalized, yet I want her to remain in her car seat for landing/takeoff especially for safety reasons. I would love to nurse her on the climb and descent, but it seems to defeat the whole purpose of having her car seat there for safety (not that I was going to keep her bound the entire trip - but we as adults have to stay buckled up for landings and takeoff). She won't take a bottle, but does enjoy gumming her soft sippy cup top - could I have her take some water for the ascent and descent???? She is not thrilled to get breastmilk from the sippy cup, particularly if I am nearby. I am probably obsessing a bit much about this, but how do I balance safety and keeping her feeling relaxed and comfortable.

Default Re: Airline Travel and Breastfeeding

We just had our first airline experience, and it did not go too bad. I was also concerned with the ascending and descending process, however, I just held onto my ds. He HATES his car seat.......I nursed him on the way up and on the way down. My only problem, was on the way home as we were descending, he was not interested in nursing, using his paci, or sucking my finger. He would do each for a couple of seconds and then get mad. I would just keep switching the breast, paci and my finger until we landed.
    Mind you he just ate about 1.5 hour before we descended....he did as well as could be expected and his ears don't seem to be bothering him.
    The sippy cup might be your option since you want to keep baby in the car seat.
    Good luck-it will work out. Have a great trip!!

I covered DS' ears with my hands during take off and landing - that seemed to help.

do you have to nurse during takeoff and landing? We're flying to my parents in July and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. It's a two hour flight and he'll be 6mo.

We recently returned from Italy (to CA) and I too was obessed w/her ears hurting. I tried to nurse her at takeoff but she fell asleep before we took off. I was told by the flight attendant that her ears would be fine as long as she was either sucking or sleeping. I found this to be completely true

Good luck!
    MD

Hi, I flew into Florida when my dd was 4 mo, and believe me I was so nervous! I feel the popping in my ears BIG time when I fly, so I was very concerned for her. I think everyone feels the amount of pressure differently.. and it also depends on the cabin pressure of the plane your flying in, also, which is different every time... so you can't be sure how much your baby will feel it. It'll be different everytime, and just bc you may be feeling something doesn't necessarily mean she is or vise versa.

But, my advise is to relax bc your baby will let you know if she feels anything, they usually wine a bit... or cry... so at that point I would try to get her to drink from the cup (but I am not so sure how effective that is bc it's not non - stop swallowing like sucking would be) then if that doesn't work I would just take her out and bf!

I made sure my dd was hungry when we boarded the plane, and I fed her non-stop going up and coming down. On the trip home, though, I was more relaxed about taking ques from her and so she wined a bit on the way up, and I fed her, then on the way down, she didn't have a problem, so I didn't feed her!

Good luck and have a blast on your trip!

We just had a second plane trip and I totally agree with the above poster. DS was whimpering/fussing as we were descending (I was not paying attention at first). When I realized we were descending, I just assumed that since my ears were popping, so were his. I started nursing him and he went to sleep. No problems with his ears after that.