Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking--Does It Ever Stop?

Default Leaking--Does It Ever Stop?

A friend of mine told me that she used nursing pads until her milk regulated and then she didn't need them anymore. She made it sound like it was really only a couple of months and then she was good to go.

What is normal? I still leak when I nurse, almost every time. Sometimes it's just a drop or two, other times it's fountains.

Will I be wearing nursing pads as long as I'm nursing? Or will I get to a point where I don't need them anymore? Or does this really just vary from person to person?

The disposable nursing pads tend to irritate my nipples, and I'm already getting tired of washing my cotton pads. Like I don't do enough laundry already!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: Leaking--Does It Ever Stop?

It took me about 4 months to stop leaking. (Still get some drops on my bra from the babies when they nurse and open their mouths).
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

I think my leaking slowed down after about 3 mos. and after about 6 mos I could go without breast pads entirely.
    What kind of pads are you using? For disposables, I used the Lansinoh ones and liked them quite a bit. If you can, let your nipple air out a little and put a bit of lanolin on before you put the pad back on your nipple to reduce stickiness and friction.
    Another option is to try some different materials for reusable pads. I've never tried them but hemp and wool breast pads are available.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I think my leaking slowed down after about 3 mos. and after about 6 mos I could go without breast pads entirely.
    What kind of pads are you using? For disposables, I used the Lansinoh ones and liked them quite a bit. If you can, let your nipple air out a little and put a bit of lanolin on before you put the pad back on your nipple to reduce stickiness and friction.
    Another option is to try some different materials for reusable pads. I've never tried them but hemp and wool breast pads are available.
    The disposable pads I have are Medela. They were recommended by the same friend. They're ok, but I can't keep them on too long without getting itchy.

I have both Medela and Gerber cloth pads, and I like both of them. The only problem is that they're a little bulkier than disposables, so they show through my shirt a lot easier. (And all my shirts fit tighter than they used to! ) It's really just that I'm lazy and don't want to keep washing nursing pads.

It took about 3.5 months for me to stop leaking. What a freeing feeling to be able to sleep without a bra again!

You will get there, don't worry!!

Quote Originally Posted by season32 View Post
    What a freeing feeling to be able to sleep without a bra again!
    I've gotten so used to wearing a bra to bed that I think I'm going to feel naked when I don't have to anymore.

I had to stop wearing the pads except when pumping by 2 months- they were aggravating an already aggravated thrush problem. I slowly stopped leaking over the next couple of months and stopped altogether by about 3-4 months. I think. It's hard to remember .
    Last edited by NorasMommy; June 20th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I will never go without pads as long as I breastfeed. You never know when a thought about your baby might trigger some unwanted issues.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm wondering the same thing. My LO is 4 months old and I still leak after letdown. But, I think it's partly b/c I still have an oversupply and OALD. Not sure when that will end either! Urgh.

I gave up being concerned about it. I figured if anyone cared that I had milk spots on my shirt, then they could just stew about it alone. I preferred NOT itching and stinging. It helps that I work in a relatively laid back environment at a university. Most of the students probably just thought I was particularly clumsy when washing my hands or drinking from the water fountain .
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous