Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytime Sleep- at a loss

Unhappy Daytime Sleep- at a loss

My ds (5 weeks) will not let me put him down once he has fallen asleep. He was awake almost all day yesterday because of this. He is very cranky and wants to sleep. This has become very difficult for my 5 year old who needs my attention. Anyone have any coping tactics? He's also nursing a lot. Could this be his 6 week growth spurt?

Default Re: Daytime Sleep- at a loss

For a short term solution you might try using a swing or carrying him in a ling or baby bjorn that way at least you have your hands free. Eventually though you want to try to put him down when he is awake but sleepy so he falls asleep in his crib (or wherever you want him to sleep).We used the swing a lot for naps when my DD was that age....it was great!

Funny you mention that because he is now asleep in his swing! I was tempted to put him in his crib when he first fell asleep in his swing. I tried and he woke right up. I put him in his swing again and he was back asleep. I really want him to get used to napping in his crib, but I guess this is ok for now. At this point it is important that he get some sleep and I get to play with my daughter for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoAandK View Post
    My ds (5 weeks) will not let me put him down once he has fallen asleep. He was awake almost all day yesterday because of this. He is very cranky and wants to sleep. This has become very difficult for my 5 year old who needs my attention. Anyone have any coping tactics? He's also nursing a lot. Could this be his 6 week growth spurt?
    My month old is doing the same thing as of yesterday, he will fall asleep in my arms then start screaming the second I put him down. But he's okay if we're laying next to each other in the bed and he can feel my boobies (hee hee). I just let him fall asleep in my arms on the couch then put him in the swing so I can get some housework done. If you figure out anything else that works please share! I know he also falls asleep in the moby wrap but that thing is too darn hot here in the South with 90 degree heat.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

You might have seen my many, many sleep posts as of late. If you read through those, you'll see lots of advice from many wonderful mamas.

I second the swing or sling idea, though. Right now those are the only two places my LO will consistently fall asleep. She only occasionally sleeps in my arms and will only sleep in her bassinet at night.

You may be right about the growth spurt. I know Haley (almost 8 wo) still has days where, no matter what I do, she just won't sleep more than a couple minutes at a time. Those are very frustrating (and tiring!) days, and I don't have any solutions, unfortunately, and I don't even have a second child to worry about!

You might have some days where you just have to get a bunch of toys and other entertainment for your 5 yo and place them all near you so you can play with them while you nurse or cuddle with ds all day. I think Dr. Sears mentions some suggestions for coping with this in The Baby Book too. He suggests using a sling and having some special toys that are just for your toddler to play with while you're nursing baby. Also, he recommends sitting ont he floor with baby so you can be down on the level with toddler and able to interact more.

Sorry I can't be more help! Hope it gets better soon. You're doing great.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Do you nurse to sleep? That might be another idea to try. You could lie down with baby on your bed, nurse him till he's asleep and leave him sleeping there. Sometimes that worked for us. Of course, we had to secure him and be sure he can't roll of the bed.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

It's a phase. It's normal. It will pass.

In the meanwhile, try nursing to sleep while lying down, carrying him in a sling, or even letting him nap in his swing. Whatever works for you and your family is just fine to do!

No worries on putting him down awake to put himself to sleep, or having to nap in his crib. All this will come later, when he is developmentally ready. Right now it feels good to be close to mom, and that's where he rests best. There is absolutely nothing wrong with meeting your babies needs!

Best of luck to you!

I worried about LO napping only in her swing at that age too, but since she slept in her bassinet at night Ifigured eventually it would come...and it did. I think what the PP said is correct, at a certain point they are more developmentally ready to nap/sleep on their own. The swing worked great for us and then around 2 mos. I started really trying to get her to take at least one nap a day (even if it was short) in her crib...good luck!

Well, finally after a very difficult day, we put ds to nap on his belly. My dd and I played right near him while he slept. It was the first calm sleep he had in days, and the first real quality time I've spent with dd in a while. Needless to say, I was terribly worried, but we do have the angelcare monitor, so that gave me some comfort. We tried to get him to sleep on his back at night, but he wouldn't do it. So, he slept on his belly last night. I didn't sleep too well as I was watching over him the whole night, but I did see him lift his head to turn it a few times. The previous thread about tummy sleeping gave me some comfort as well. We just need to do what is best for all of us at this point.

My daughter has had days like this, and she's 4 wo.

I find the swing to be a Godsend. I put her in it and sometimes she fusses. I have a cradle-swing -- it will rock side to side or back and forth so if one way doesn't seem to work I'll try the other and usually it does. If I want her to be in her crib, I leave her in the swing about 20 minutes, (long enough for me to pump, usually) and as long as she's been asleep about 10 minutes, I will carefully pick her up with one hand supporting her head and the other her butt. I then quickly but carefully take her upstairs and gently lay her down in her sleep positioner (she keeps rolling onto her side, even when swaddled). She almost always never wakes up and if she does it's one of those half asleep wake ups and she usually drifts right back off.

But I understand your frustration I've had days where she won't sleep like that either. Because I feed her expressed breast milk, if she gets like that I'll usually feed her a little earlier than normal after wards, and this sometimes does the trick, too. I only do this though after all other attempts have failed, since I don't want to over feed her.