Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She sucks for only 5/8 minutes... do I have enough milk?

Default She sucks for only 5/8 minutes... do I have enough milk?

Hi, I'm Antonella form Italy. My daughter has nearly 3 months (she was born the 8 of February) and now her weight is 5,240 kg (when we left the hospital her weight was 3,270 kg).
    In the last week she gained only 120 grams then. I'm breastfeeding her happily, but I fear she's latching not properly. At the beginning I was full of supply, but now my breasts is not so full. She sleeps at night ALWAYS from 10pm until 3am, and from 3,30am until 6,30am. From 7am until around 9am we co-sleep. Tonight I pumped milk, and I was able to pump 70 grams (only? enough?)
    During the day I nurse her very frequently, she stays on my arms nearly all the time: despite this, she sucks a little bit and then sleeps a little bit, then she sucks again and so on.

What I noticed is that she puts her fist in the mouth and she appears very frustrated for a sort of pain in the mouth: is it possible is a matter of teeths?

I feel sad for that, because I'm completely in love with her, I have a crush for her :-) and I don't want to give up...

Could you tell me if you think she's growing well or not? And what can I do to increase my milk supply?

Thank you and sorry for my English vocabulary on that issue... usually I speak in English about human rights protection and international justice!

Antonella

Default Re: She sucks for only 5/8 minutes... do I have enough milk?

As long as she making enought wet and poopy diapers and she does not act hungry after your feedings, you are probably producing enough.
    I have the same pumping problem, I am sure I pump way less than then ds is getting. I am lucky to get 2 oz total at each pumping session when away from my son during the day. Pumping is not always an indicator of what your baby is getting (atleast I hope not or else ds has to be starving LOL)
    Keep it up, your doing great. Sometimes I wish mine only nursed for 5-8 minutes, other times I LOVE our hour long nursing!!

Ciao Antonella! We have a phrase that gets repeated quite often around here -- "Watch the baby, not the clock" As long as your baby is wetting frequently (about 4-6 sopping wet diapers per 24 hour period) and stooling normally for your baby (breastfed babies will often go several days between bowel movements), then you can rest assured that she is getting all that she needs.

Babies can be extremely efficient with nursing -- often times getting everything they need in a matter of just minutes.

At 3 months old, it's very possible that your baby is teething. Teething can last a very long time before you see the actual emergence of any teeth. If she seems uncomfortable at the very beginning of a nursing session, it could just be that she's impatient waiting for your milk to let down.

You are breastfeeding on demand, co-sleeping and keeping your baby close to you for the majority of the day -- it sounds like you are doing wonderfully well! Keep up the great work!

I hope this helps!

(PS - I spent two years in Italy (Tuscany) and I miss it terribly! )

Oh thank you Sheila and Carol for the quick reply.
    In fact I think she's teething... as for the diapers, she wets 4/5 diapers per day (and poop 2/3 times per day), so probably she doesn't need anything else than to be nursed as I'm doing.

The problem in Italy is the "pediatrician", who thinks that a baby has to grow 150-200 grams per week, and if in a week a baby gains less than the "growth tables" of the pediatrician, then he tells that you have to integrate with formula...

Well, now I'm more self-confident, expecially thanks to you of the LLL. In fact I nursed my 10 years old healty boy for 3 years, with great pleasure for both of us.

Anyway, I'm improving the pumping because I must return to work very soon, but I'm still able to pump more or less 2 oz per session, not more.
    Do you suggest me something else for increase my milk supply?

Thank you again,
    Antonella

p.s. Carol, Tuscany is wonderful, usually we spend there our vacations! I'm writing from Rome, another beautiful place (you visited it for sure!)

Well, today something happened. It's 6 days I'm taking fenugreek and it seems working in increasing my milk. But today I had my first session in a fitness club (1 hour) a first session for my back that after 9 month of pregnancy is really destroyed (I gained 22 kilos!). And what happend? Tonight I'm full of milk. In 15 minutes I pumped 7 oz. And I nursed my baby as always during the day. Great! I'm really happy.
    Then it's better to do some movement during the day, jogging or fitness or whatever to increase the milk supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonella
    The problem in Italy is the "pediatrician", who thinks that a baby has to grow 150-200 grams per week, and if in a week a baby gains less than the "growth tables" of the pediatrician, then he tells that you have to integrate with formula...
    Our midwife in Sweden must have the same weight charts, because she quoted the same figure - 150-200 grams/wk as the normal weight gain for babies. But my baby gained only 600 grams in her 3rd month and then 1.5 kg in her 4th month - talk about growth spurts so maybe your baby will exhibit the same pattern next month. Our midwife said slow weight gain isn't a problem as long as it doesn't happen 2 months in a row.

Congratulations on your improved supply by the way!

Oh thank you, I'm happy to see my milk increasing.. and my baby too!
    Well, as the matter of fact now that she's entered in her 4th month I can see she is nursing more than before, she seems more hungry. We will see. But even if she gained only around 500 grams last month, she has taken 9 cms in 3 months (52 cms at birth, 61 cm now). Then I think that always is going pretty well at last. The other factor I have also to consider is that 15 days ago she had her first vaccinations and that it was a sort of trauma, because she cried a lot... Your baby gained 1.5 kg in only 1 month? Oh mamma, I can't figure out how much she nursed then... :-()

(European charts must be up-to-date...)
    Last edited by Antonella; May 14th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.