Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bathing with Baby

Default Bathing with Baby

I really want to take a bath with my 4 month old to help encourage her back to the breast a little, but I am paranoid of dropping her in the tub. I do not know how to resuccitate (sp?) a baby and the thought of her slipping into the water sends shivers up my spine. Even when I give her a bath on her own, I put her in one of those baby tubs where the water drains out the bottom and is unable to collect in the tub because I don't want her lying in a pool of water, KWIM?

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe handling while bathing together? How much to fill the tub, or should be use a sling, or something? Any advice is appreciated. THANKS!!

Lisa

Default Re: Bathing with Baby

I have bathed with my daughter since her cord dropped off.

This is how I do it.

First I start the tub and only fill it half way to what I usually do for myself. Then I get in I have either my husband or mother hand her to me. I bath her and she gets a bit of ninny (our word for nursing) Then when she is done I call for my husband or mother to come and get her. They get her and then get her dressed or whatever and I finish my bath by filling the tub to my comfort level and temperature. I have never attempted it by myself, I have always had a support person there with me. My daughter is now 2 yrs and she likes taking showers with me.

If you're very nervous about it, why not just try some skin-to-skin time outside of the bathtub? If it's warm enough where you live (or at least in your home) you might try just both being shirt-less and spending some time like that.

If you do try it, I agree with above, have someone else help you. I've held my son in the shower a few times but only after my husband hands him to me and then I hand him back (and no soap! LOL).

Thanks for the suggestions . . . . . we took a bath and she actually refused nursing more fervently than usual. I think it's because she absolutely hates being held in the cradle position and that is really the only way to do it in the tub. I also tried sitting her facing me, in front of me and she wouldn't nurse like that either. Should I keep trying the baths? Maybe it will take a few times? I also spent some time shirtless, skin to skin with her this afternoon after the bath. No dice. Thanks for your posts.

Lisa

I've been able to successfully nurse in the bath with other positions than cradle. You can do football clutch too, or, if you have the water high enough, you can try sitting up with baby almost upright, tummy to tummy. I do like the previous poster said—only taking baths when my husband is here to hand baby to me and take her out when she's ready. Bathing with her and especially nursing in the bath are wonderful and she loves it. Keep trying!

What I have done is fill the tub pretty full, lay down flat in the tub so that I have maximum water coverage on me, lay baby down flat on TOP of me (tummy to tummy) with his head near my breast. We both just kind of "float" together like that, very relaxing and lots of skin-to-skin.

Make sure the bathroom is warm too that helps everyone to relax. Don't worry you won't drown or drop your child, you have good instincts against that

I bathed for the first time with DD the other day (and we both LOVED it) and I too was nervous. I'm lucky in that I have a jacuzzi tub with a marble ledge around the tub, which allows me to set up her hooded towel so she can lay on that while I get in and out of the tub, otherwise I'd have my hubby help me too.

Anyway, once in the water I was nervous of her "slipping" out of my arms, so I grabbed a hand towel (because it was within reach) and brought that in the water with us. It added a bit of friction and I didn't feel so vulnerable.

DD and I also bathe together on occassion, she wasn't too sure about it at first but now she seems to enjoy that time together! We also use a towel in the tub to provide some additional safety against her slipping out of my hands. I've also read somewhere that they suggested wearing cotton gloves when bathing with an infant so that you can hold onto them a little more easily. I am guessing it would work wonderfully but I can't imagine wearing gloves in the tub!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Smile Re: Bathing with Baby

I have bathed with my baby since his cord fell off and find it the easiest way to bathe him! He always love to nurse in the tub too - in the cradle position. I always turn a little heater on at the other end of the bathroom (nowhere near the tub) to prewarm the bathroom before we go in and I have towels, diapers etc. right next to the tub. I also put a thick towel on the floor and use that to lie him down on while I get in the tub and sit down then I just lean over and scoop him up off the floor. I do the same thing in reverse when getting out of the tub so I don't drop him. Avoid adding baby wash to the water - it makes them more slippery - just put a bit on a cloth and use that to wash the baby. I also find if I put my knees up with my feet flat on the tub floor it makes a nice backrest for baby to lean against your knees and sit on your stomach facing you - pretty impossible for baby to slip under the water this way. Also, after seeing some tiny babies at the YMCA in swim lessons getting dunked right under the water with no ill effects, I don't really worry about the possibility about accidently getting water in their face or anything - after all - you WILL be in the tub with them at all times - it's not like you're going to fall asleep or anything right? Anyway, I say go ahead and try it, don't worry so much! It's a great way to bond with, bathe and feed your baby!