Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: p.m.feedings-screaming on breast- help!

Default p.m.feedings-screaming on breast- help!

my dd will be 4 weeks on Friday. The past 2 nights she starts to nurse then starts wimpering and screaming. I definately have milk so is this happening from something I ate??? It happens on both breasts. I just keep trying to latch her back on (she opens her mouth and seems to want to eat) and she sucks like a wild woman then starts screaming again. I definately hear her stomach gurgling a bit during these feedings. Is this normal??

This happens between 5-8pm. I hope this is a passing phase bec. my 5 yr old started this at 5 weeks old and I couldn't bf him through it- it was a nightmare and i am so concerned it's happening again.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Lauren

Default Re: p.m.feedings-screaming on breast- help!

Hi! 4 weeks so far, great job, mama! These first bunch of weeks can be very tough- I hope we can help you a bit with your problem.

Well, I'm sure you'll have a lot of responses here, but I'll take a stab at what might be going on. If your previous child also had these issues, I'm guessing you might be dealing with an oversupply/overactive letdown. This is when your body produces a lot of milk and/or your milk comes out very fast. Your LO might be going through an experience like trying to drink out of a fire hydrant hose turned on full blast, which couldn't feel good! Now, the fact that it only happens between 5 and 8pm is kind of strange, but maybe that's because your last feeding before then was a little earlier in the day and your milk has had some time to build up? When is the next previous time you nurse before that 5-8 period of time?

One thought, are you pumping at all? I found that I created a huge oversupply issue when I started pumping. Not that pumping is bad, I just went at it with gusto and confused my breasts into making TONS of milk. There are a lot of good things to read about oversupply/over active let-down on the "Too Much Milk" forum. And also, on the Kellymom website. Here is a link with symptoms you can compare and also things to try. This isn't an official LLL website, but it has been an awesome source of info for many moms here.

When my son was choking/screaming etc, I found that block feeding (offering the same breast for more than one feeding in a row) helped my breasts "get the message" that they needed to stop making so much milk at one time. There are other suggestions on this site, too.

I may be off base here with my guess about your problem- hopefully some others come along and give you some ideas, too! Great job nursing and keep up the good work! We are here for you, ask whatever you need!

HI just wanted to say my baby will be 4 weeks on friday and we have been going thru this same thing for the past 4 nights. Not sure what it is but I think it's a combo of gas, maybe thrush, and a fast let down. Also our episodes are happening between 10pm and 3:00am so needless to say I'm not getting much sleep and plan on calling the doc tomorrow to see what's up! Hope you figure out what's going on.

My LO is king of screaming during nursing. It does get better but you have to play detective. The evening timing sounds like the 'fussy' period and you might have to be creative at that time.

In LO's case most of it is gas and I'm in the process of figuring out what in my diet makes it worse. So far I know dairy and maybe chocolate. I use mylicon drops when the gas is bad and I see my LO screaming and farting while BF'ing. My pedi also reassured me the gas gets better at 6-8 weeks when they stop swallowing so much air.

If Logan is just freaking out while I'm trying to nurse him we take a 2 minute break and I hold him tight and talk to him until he settles. Then we try again.

Don't give up on BF'ing even if your baby is screaming; I know how scary it is. With just a little trial and error you will be back on track.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

to you!

Just popping in here to say i know how you feel, coz my little one has been screaming through practically every feeding since a good month ago. In fact, besides the wee hour feedings where both of us are too dazed to fight, i can't recall a trouble-free feeding for a long time now. And for us, the midnight feeding is always the worst.

The cause of all this trouble? A stuffy nose that refuses to go away, and has long since stopped responding to nasal drops. My pediatrician says my little one probably has a sensitive nose like his daddy, which bugs the heck out of me coz i'm like, why did he have to inherit all the bad genes from his daddy?

Hang in there mama! You're not alone in this!

Thanks- you ladies are great!!

Your advice is so appreciated.
    I will look into the overactive letdown, but I think it has more to do with the gassy fussy time of night stuff- i definately do not have an oversupply of milk- i think i have just enough to make her happy.

I do pump, but only 1x/day so i don't that is creating the problem.

I think i need to change my diet. This is scary bec. I have a love affair with ice cream- but I'll do it! I think that marinara sauce may be a problem too. I'll start today and see what happens.

I am sorry that all of you have this issue too- but it's nice not to be alone and have such great support!

Lauren

Same issues started with my LO around 4-6weeks. I have OALD/OS. She also can't take it when I have dairy. Ending your love affair with ice cream might help! Sometimes marinara has cheese in it too! (There are some pretty good rice milk ice 'creams' out there if you have to have a fix!)