Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions about pumping - with an OS/OALD

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default questions about pumping - with an OS/OALD

I've never really pumped before, but would like to so I can give LO (4 months) a bottle of EBM once a day when my babysitter watches her (on Tues and Thurs). I've also been dealing with an oversupply and OALD, and it has just started calming down recently (I think). I usually feed LO one breast per feeding. And, she typically doesn't really "empty" the breast (due to oversupply), so I often feed her on one breast 2-3 times in a row before offering the other breast. (She's also not a "regular" patterned feeder - sometimes eating between every 2-4 hrs).

So, my questions are:
    1) when should I pump without stimulating my breasts too much to make too much milk?
    2) Also, should I pump just one breast or both?
    3) Do I pump until last few drops, or just enough to give LO about 4 oz (I have no idea how much she takes per feeding, but I know I can pump about 3 oz per breast b/c I've had to pump before to relieve engorgment)?

I just don't want to stimulate my breasts to continue to make too much milk. I've also posted in the "pumping" forum.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Default Re: questions about pumping - with an OS/OALD

Hi,

Since you have OS, you won't want to express more than your baby will need. Since you are only going to be giving a couple of bottles per week, you might consider hand expression. Many oversupplied mothers find hand expression to be relatively simple. It is less likely to make an oversupply problem worse, and it's free .

Another option might be a small manual pump (Avent Isis is one example, but there are others). These are relatively inexpensive and many moms who only pump ocassionally find them to be quite effective.

You probably will want to only pump one breast at a time. You could try pumping/hand expressing on one side while you nurse baby on the other. Another option would be to pump immediately after baby has nursed.

HTH,

Tiana

I forgot to mention...3-4oz should be more than enough to feed a 4 month old baby one bottle of EBM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    I forgot to mention...3-4oz should be more than enough to feed a 4 month old baby one bottle of EBM.

My baby must be a pig, . She eats between 4-5 oz., usually the whole 5 and she's 11 weeks. And she's on the small side at 10 pounds even, lol.

I also have OS and OALD and just pump one side twice a day, does that make sense? I pump the side that she does not nurse on in the am and do the same thing in the pm. I use the Avent Isis manual pump. That will give me a five ounce bottle.

Also, I try to pump the needed bottle the night and morning before I need it. I feel better with a bottle when we go out to dinner or church but she doesn't always need it. If she doesn't use it, or I can nurse her instead, I can freeze it when we get home.

I was going to ask the same question because I'm going back to work in a week. I pumped a little in the morning for awhile and it got worse. I'll have to pump for three feedings, five days a week. I can pump both sides and get 6+ ounces (she only feeds on one side usually), but then after that I'm a little more empty until she sleeps six hours at night. Do I need to still pump as often as she eats, or should I pump less so I don't agrivate my supply?