Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what happens to supply during extended breastfeeding?

Default what happens to supply during extended breastfeeding?

If you aren't nursing all the time (from the book I'm reading, it sounds like you might nurse less frequently the older they get) what does that do to your supply? How do you maintain a supply if the baby is only nursing once or twice a day?

I'm not there yet, but I've been reading about extended nursing to prepare myself. Just call me curious.

Default Re: what happens to supply during extended breastfeeding?

Your body makes what your baby needs. As my son has gotten older, my supply is all over the place b/c some days he nurses like crazy, then the next day we'll be gone for the day and he won't nurse at all. My body is usually a day behind, but it adjusts.

Yep, what she said. The supply simply adjusts to the demand. I BF my DD 2-3 times per day, sometimes more on weekends, and we have not had a problem.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My dd nurses like crazy on the weekends because I'm home with her but during the week she only nurses about three to four times a day so on Mondays I have a HUGE supply because she nursed all weekend but by Friday it's backdown to enough for a few nursing sessions a day just in time for our weekend marathon again. Next month I'll be a SAHM so that's going to help regulate things!

I have been nursing thus far for 15months...and hope to do so for some time. My body has adjusted to all his needs thus far. Your supply will decrease and increase based on your LO's demands. Supply will support those demands. The body is an amazing thing!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Thanks for asking this question, zoewmu!
    I'm a working mom, and I pump to get ebm for feedings while I'm at work. So when baby's 1+ years old, should I keep pumping (to keep up my supply and have milk for baby while I'm gone) or just nurse on demand when I'm home?
    Last edited by VAmom; June 21st, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    Thanks for asking this question, zoewmu!
    I'm a working mom, and I pump to get ebm for feedings while I'm at work. So when baby's 1+ years old, should I keep pumping (to keep up my supply and have milk for baby while I'm gone) or just nurse on demand when I'm home?
    If you choose to give up pumping, your body will most likely decrease milk production during the day and make enough milk for when your baby needs this. I would advise "pump weaning" slowly and taking care not to become engorged.
    I pump weaned sometime after 1 year and continued to nurse on demand while we were together for some time. Sometimes I would be a little full on Mondays after nursing all weekend, so I would have to pump a little to take the edge off. Now my DD nurses a bit less on weekends and I do limit her to some extent (I usually don't let her nurse out of boredom or for quick snacks anymore), so I haven't had to pump in some time.
    It's simply up to you whether you want to continue pumping. Your LO can continue taking ebm in bottles or you can have your caregiver offer it to her in a cup.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks for the tips, Molly!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!