Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pump when...

Red face How to pump when...

I would like to pump so when I do go out and my baby gets hungry her hunger can be fulfilled. The problem is she is 3 months old, weighs near 12 pounds and still eats every 2 to 2 1/2 hours so can I still pump and how?
    Thank you!!

Default Re: How to pump when...

Pump in the morning after a feeding. You tend to have more milk then

Thank you. Now do I pump right after the feeding or wait on hour?

I'd try it right after the feeding. Good luck!

Sabrina
    Mom to Alex: 12/08/04 and still happily nursing

I would play around with it. Feed the baby, drink your water. So anytime would work.

Quote Originally Posted by KatWrangler
    Pump in the morning after a feeding. You tend to have more milk then
    I tried this for a while and ended up painfully engorged in the middle of the night. You may have more milk in the morning, but you may also not want your body to make even more at that time. When you pump, you tell your body to build up a supply for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by pipsmom
    I tried this for a while and ended up painfully engorged in the middle of the night. You may have more milk in the morning, but you may also not want your body to make even more at that time. When you pump, you tell your body to build up a supply for that time.

I am not following you here. How is she going to become engorged if she has already feed the baby and is pumping off the extra? I understand her body will adjust and expect the pumping session but that shouldn't cause her to become engorged. Well only if she fed the baby and then did not pump.

Perhaps you could pump after a few feedings per day. You may not get much at each one, but over the course of a day may be able to get a few ounces, enough to make a bottle so you can go out. Or it might even take a few days of pumping here and there to get enough. My son is 2 1/2 months and when he has a bottle he takes anywhere from 4 to 6 ounces at a time.

It's been my own personal experience as well as learning through many other mother's that a great time to pump is about 1 hour after any given feeding. The morning time is a great time to pump as our supplies tend to appear to be higher during that time.

Don't worry that you won't have any milk to nurse baby should she need to nurse 5 minutes after you pump. She may stay at the breast longer than normal but you'll still have milk

Quote Originally Posted by pipsmom
    I have done this on and off for four months--I use the morning feeding to pump opn the opposite side, or both breasts right after feeding and have never woke up engorged b/c of it. I may be more full the next day but not engorged. If I don't pump the next day, then the following day it is back to normal. And I have found too that pumping an hour after each feeding works. My dd eats every 2-2.5 hours too. That gives my breasts an hour to build back up.

Good luck to you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes