Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF after a csection.

Default BF after a csection.

Hi. I'm new around here. I'm pregnant with our 3rd child (due in Nov.) but this will be the first time I'm going to try to BF. I'm nervous but I'm learning as much as I can.

I would like to hear about BF after a csection. I'll be having a scheduled csection and I'm worried I won't get to BF right away. With my last 2 csections I wasn't able to see my boys until 4 hours after, (one because of low temp and the other with breathing problems) and I'm worried about waiting so long then having problems with latching on.

Any advice or stories you can share? TIA.

Default Re: BF after a csection.

I had a c-section and was very persistent with the hospital staff to bring her to me asap b/c I was bf. I had labels put on her little cart that said, "breast, no bottle, paci or water....bring me to my Mommy when I cry." They brought her to me an hour after she was born and she latched right on.

A LC at the hospital helped us with positioning and our latch.

We went strong for 16 1/2 mos. and I'll be bf another one in about 6 weeks.

Keep baby in room with you as much as possible, that was a big part of our success. I had so many people telling me "send her to the nursery, this is your only chance to rest, blah, blah, blah". I had been waiting for 9 months, I wasn't sending her anywhere; they had to peel her away from me.

Besides, you can't rest anyway with the nurses in there every three seconds doing your vitals, pain meds, meals, whatever.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Also, pain meds was not a problem, stay ahead of the pain!!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i agree with the pp- i did not get my son until about 2 hours after the birth and i've always wondered if our problems nursing are because of that. granted, i am not saying that is what caused them, just that i've wondered about it...
    anyway, i think you should just let them know, repeatedly, that you'd like to see your LO ASAP. Also, whoever goes with you in the OR and then follows the baby can advocate for you too. Just tell them to be really persistent that your baby wants a boobie!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Congratualtions on your upcoming babe and !
    Like the PP, I was very persistent with the nurses and hospital staff. After my section, I was able to hold DD right away and she nursed right after birth. But being persistent was essential, because I too got the "You need your rest line."
    I was very determined to BF and really worked at it. I think a good mental attitude helps. Give yourself and your LO some time - if the baby doesn't latch right away, dont give up. Keep trying - ask to speak to the LC at the hospital, or have someone close to you (mom, sis, friend) who was sucessful at BF'ing come and talk you through it.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I had a c-section with my first, and was really persistent in telling the nurses and staff that I wanted to nurse. The staff at the hospital was very supportive - but it was a lifesaver for me to have my husband stay with me in the room at the hospital - he slept on a cot in the room. We were at the hospital for five days, and I really was so glad that he was there to help with the baby while I was trying to recover from surgery.

I nursed after a c-section with both of my girls. Cassi was 22 years ago, so I don't really remember how long it was before they brought her to me, but she never had any problems nursing.

Caitlyn was brought to me 2 hours after my c-section (actually she was already in the room waiting for me ) Like her sister she didn't have any problems nursing.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Talking Re: BF after a csection.

Hi there
    Well, I don't know what state you live in but when I had my c-section in Feb they now use morphin for the pain. Anyway, this enables you to be more with it after it is over. So, I got to nurse my dtr when I went into the recover room which I didn't get to do before my son. When I had my son three years ago though I bf him and he did just fine. Hope this helps and good luck.

I just had my daughter 3 weeks ago via csection. I do not know how your hospital work, but they paralyzed me from the chest down during my section. My daughter was not allowed in recovery with me. I was in recovery for about 2 hours.

Once I was brought to my room it had been almost 4 hours since the birth of my daughter. It took almost 30 minutes to start latching. Ever since that day we do not have a problem.

Like pp have said be persistant with hospital staff about wanting to bf. I was not persistant enough so they ff my daughter before I got to see her. I had my husband put a stop to that real quick though.

Hi there
    You've gotten a lot of good advice from other posters! I just wanted to pass along LLL's article on BFing after a c-section:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/cesarean.html

Hugs!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My son was born 12 weeks ago by c-section, and he was put on my chest as they were still sewing me up. I ended up having to wait several days to nurse again due to some medical issues with him, and maintained my supply (and then some!!) by pumping. He's never had any problem latching or nursing. It helped me tremendously to have a lactation consultant to call with questions, and I also talked to my sister-in-law, who is nursing my nephew. Good luck!