Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depressed

Default Re: Depressed

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    I can't afford a lactation consultant. It's just too much per visit, and it would take quite a few visits, I'm sure.
    Insurance doesn't cover a visit with an LC? Does your doc give any other advice other than supplementing? They are so quick to hand out formula, rather than giving other options. to you, and look into getting with an LLL group.

So I took little one in today for her appt. She only gained 6 oz in 3 1/2 weeks. I feel like such a failure. She's still in the "normal" range, but she dropped from the 32 percentile to the 14.

Was the weight gain counted from your baby's lowest weight (not her birth weight)? Babies lose can lose between 7-10% of their birth weight in their first days of life. Weight gain should always be counted from the lowest point up.

Now the doctor thinks I should feed her 3 oz a feeding, and I'm lucky if I pump that much! He says I should supplement 2 feedings with formula. I suppose I could live bottle to bottle and stop trying to build up a stash. I don't know what to do.
    Did he say why he recommended you supplement with formula?

How often are you pumping now? About how many total ounces do you pump per 24 hours?

I just want to cry I'm so frustrated. I keep reading about mothers pumping 4+ oz at a time and it just makes me want to cry! I feel like such a failure to our little girl.

There are lots of variables when it comes to pumping output. Not every mother pumps 4 ounces or more per pumping session.

She doesn't latch 99% of the time and when she does (Only had it happen 3 times now for all the trying) she never seems happy. She'll nurse forever and as much as I want to let her I just can't do it. I can't get up every hour to let her nurse for an hour, it's just too much. I end up tired and weak because I have to choose sleep or food, and either one is not enough on it's own.
    When she's nursing, do you hear swallowing? Or, do you see pauses in her chin (suck-suck-suck-pause)?

The first thing I would suggest is to get her latched on well, assuring she is far back on the areola. Once there, watch her sucking pattern. When the sucks slow, use breast compressions to keep her sucking longer. You can read a description of the technique here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

And you can watch videos of the technique here:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

You seem to be worried that you won't be able to eat or sleep if your baby is nursing. How would you feel about having some "one handed" foods available so you can eat while baby nurses? You could sit down to nurse with a cold glass of ice water, a sandwich, and an empty bladder. Then, you and baby would have time to practice the art of breastfeeding without you becoming overly hungry. If you need both hands to nurse, your partner could help you eat while you nurse the baby.

Another thing that might help is to learn how to nurse while lying down. Once you get baby latched on and into a good sucking pattern, you can doze while baby nurses. Just be sure not to try this on a waterbed or on top of a comforter. Lie directly on top of the sheets.

I've tried everything! She takes to a nipple shield, but my concern with that is that she's not sucking the same on that as she would my breast, so I'm not properly stimulating my nipples.
    Can you describe the difference in her sucking pattern?

If I could get her to latch on to the breast I'd be happy with 2 oz at a pumping! I'm exclusively pumping which makes it difficult for me to convince my breasts they need to make more.
    How would you feel about nursing and supplementing at the breast (or before nursing)?

I can't afford a lactation consultant. It's just too much per visit, and it would take quite a few visits, I'm sure.
    Not neccessarily. One visit could help. At least you will know what the problem is, and have some new ideas on how to fix it.

Does the hospital or birth center where you gave birth have an IBCLC on staff? If so, it's possible that you could get help that way. Many times, a lactation consult is included in your birth cost.

If your county health department has an IBCLC on staff, you might be able to get help from them.

If nothing else, call around to some of the IBCLCs in your area. Ask if they offer a sliding scale fee. Sometimes they do!

And, if you have a local LLL Leader, do call her! She'd be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post

Was the weight gain counted from your baby's lowest weight (not her birth weight)? Babies lose can lose between 7-10% of their birth weight in their first days of life. Weight gain should always be counted from the lowest point up.
    Her lowest was 7 lbs 3 oz, the day before we left the hospital. The day after (first weigh at ped's) she was 7 lbs 4 oz. Now, at nearly 1 month, she only weighs 7 lbs 10 oz.

Did he say why he recommended you supplement with formula?
    I told him I was giving her 2 oz, every 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and that I was pumping on avg 3 oz, and that I was trying to build up a stash because I was concerned that when her intake increases I would not be able to keep up with it. He recommended I give her 3 oz of breast milk at a feeding, but then she'd be going "bottle to bottle". That and while she is in the avg, her percentile is dropping, and he doesn't want to see it keep dropping.

How often are you pumping now? About how many total ounces do you pump per 24 hours?
    I pump when she eats, approximately 8-9 times a day. I typically get 3 oz, though I do sometimes get 4 (usually in the morning).

There are lots of variables when it comes to pumping output. Not every mother pumps 4 ounces or more per pumping session.

When she's nursing, do you hear swallowing? Or, do you see pauses in her chin (suck-suck-suck-pause)?

The first thing I would suggest is to get her latched on well, assuring she is far back on the areola. Once there, watch her sucking pattern. When the sucks slow, use breast compressions to keep her sucking longer. You can read a description of the technique here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

And you can watch videos of the technique here:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    You seem to be worried that you won't be able to eat or sleep if your baby is nursing. How would you feel about having some "one handed" foods available so you can eat while baby nurses? You could sit down to nurse with a cold glass of ice water, a sandwich, and an empty bladder. Then, you and baby would have time to practice the art of breastfeeding without you becoming overly hungry. If you need both hands to nurse, your partner could help you eat while you nurse the baby.
    He has to work, so during the day I'm on my own, and at night I try not to wake him so that he can stay awake during the day at work and do chores when he comes home.

Another thing that might help is to learn how to nurse while lying down. Once you get baby latched on and into a good sucking pattern, you can doze while baby nurses. Just be sure not to try this on a waterbed or on top of a comforter. Lie directly on top of the sheets.
    I tried but I can't get comfy for a few reasons:

1) C-section. My stomach is still tender in some spots and no matter how I lay on my side it bothers me.
    2) It's cold. We have to have the AC on in order for my hubby to be able to sleep. Otherwise he gets too hot and can't sleep. I just toss more blankets on my side and we make sure to layer the little one. We use a sleep positioner (she keeps rolling onto her side) and we put her in a onsie, swaddle her, then take a blanket and put it over the positioner and tuck it under her. She doesn't seem too hot that way -- she's never sweaty when I take her out.
    3) I've slept with one of her blankets (family member suggested doing that to get my scent on it so she'd sleep better because she'd fall asleep snuggled up against me with my robe covering her) and I'll wake up in the middle of the night and at first I think the bundle is her and I panick that I've squashed her. I just don't feel comfortable with her in the bed with me, especially since our bed is fairly soft (we have 2 inches of memory foam on the top of our mattress).

Can you describe the difference in her sucking pattern?
    Her sucking pattern on the breast on the few times was pretty much suck, swallow, suck, swallow, suck, swallow. Eventually it'd even out to suck, suck, swallow. That's what it is with the nipple shield, but the nipple shield doesn't get her compressing the areola much if at all, and she'll nurse forever but never seem completely content, so I'm worried she's just not effectively sucking and getting enough milk that way.

How would you feel about nursing and supplementing at the breast (or before nursing)?
    I don't follow. Do you mean nurse and then supplementing with expressed milk? I tried that once and again she didn't seem content. She was fussy until I finally gave her another straight bottle.

Not neccessarily. One visit could help. At least you will know what the problem is, and have some new ideas on how to fix it.

Does the hospital or birth center where you gave birth have an IBCLC on staff? If so, it's possible that you could get help that way. Many times, a lactation consult is included in your birth cost.

If your county health department has an IBCLC on staff, you might be able to get help from them.

If nothing else, call around to some of the IBCLCs in your area. Ask if they offer a sliding scale fee. Sometimes they do!

And, if you have a local LLL Leader, do call her! She'd be glad to help.
    I did see a lactation consultant once; she said I have a nibbler. The ladies in the hospital tell me I have flat / inverted nipples, and truth be told they weren't all that helpful. I called my LLL leader, but all she did was bring over a new mother packet, with the same information on how to latch a baby that I've seen in half a dozen different videos / websites that I've researched, so that isn't much help, either.

I am so sorry that you have been having such problems. Maybe your LLL leader could show you what to do if you go to a meeting and the LO gets hungry. All I can do is give you a big hug and I am sure that the rest of people posting want to give you a
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Don't feel like a failure at all. My LO was in the same place when he was born. I had to pump right after nursing and give him what I pumped. If you need to supplement with formula while you pump so someone else can feed, do it. Feeding your baby comes first and this comes for someone who believes in breastfeeding.

In time your LO will get only breastmilk or more of it. Hang in there and don't be hard on yourself. You're doing the best you can!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Also check to see if your LO has a tight frenulum or tongue tie. It was the reason why my little one wasn't gaining fast enough. Email me with any questions.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com