Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depressed

Default Depressed

So I took little one in today for her appt. She only gained 6 oz in 3 1/2 weeks. I feel like such a failure. She's still in the "normal" range, but she dropped from the 32 percentile to the 14.

Now the doctor thinks I should feed her 3 oz a feeding, and I'm lucky if I pump that much! He says I should supplement 2 feedings with formula. I suppose I could live bottle to bottle and stop trying to build up a stash. I don't know what to do.

I just want to cry I'm so frustrated. I keep reading about mothers pumping 4+ oz at a time and it just makes me want to cry! I feel like such a failure to our little girl.

Default Re: Depressed

Do not feel like a failure!!!!! You are doing the absolute best thing you can do for her and you know it!! Are you feeding her on demand or are you feeding her on a schedule? Are you feeding her pumped milk now? or are you EBF? The pump will never pull out the amount of milk you actually have because the mechanism of the pump is different. There were times I couldn't pump squat but my little man is still gaining. Has she been sick? teething? change of environment? Just trying to piece together some info for you. Please rest assured that you are NOT a failure. You're a great mama. s to you and your LO. You will get through this hump. There are other mama's here that will give you great advice. Mine is...keep bringing LO to the breast, whenever she wants it for now. I know it's exhausting work, we've all been there, but you can do it!!!!

She doesn't latch 99% of the time and when she does (Only had it happen 3 times now for all the trying) she never seems happy. She'll nurse forever and as much as I want to let her I just can't do it. I can't get up every hour to let her nurse for an hour, it's just too much. I end up tired and weak because I have to choose sleep or food, and either one is not enough on it's own.

I've tried everything! She takes to a nipple shield, but my concern with that is that she's not sucking the same on that as she would my breast, so I'm not properly stimulating my nipples.

you're not the only one. I can only pump at most 2 oz! hang in there!!! recently i tried to increase my milk supply (there's a forum about how to increase milk supply), and I've been noticing that I can pump a little bit more, so maybe the Chinese Soup does work! I drink the soup every day for more than a week, and it seems like my supply is increasing (just a little!)

If I could get her to latch on to the breast I'd be happy with 2 oz at a pumping! I'm exclusively pumping which makes it difficult for me to convince my breasts they need to make more.

have you seen a lactation consultant? They do have to work harder at the breast to get the milk, getting it from a bottle, the flow is much easier and faster. She's probably being a wee bit stubborn.

what kind of pump do you have? i read somewhere that their insurance covered the cost of a pump. maybe that would help?

I can't afford a lactation consultant. It's just too much per visit, and it would take quite a few visits, I'm sure.

I am using a rented pump from the hospital -- the Medela Lactina.

is there LLL in your area? a leader could maybe help

THere is and I'll have to look into it.

Until then I'm just going to give her 3 oz of breast milk and pray I can at least keep pumping that much. I have a small freezer stash (about a day's worth) so that maybe I can work on it.

I'm going to try adding some extra pumping sessions around lunch -- 10 minutes every hour for a few hours. Perhaps that will help increase my supply some.