Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: repeated plugged ducts--help!!

Default repeated plugged ducts--help!!

I had my LO almost 5 weeks ago and am now experiencing my 4th plugged duct, the first of which resulted in mastitis. I am doing everything I know to be correct-nursing every 2-4 hours (and pumping if my LO does not empty the breast), and I am still getting these terrible plugged ducts. When I do get them I am using the warm compresses, massaging, hot showers, and nursing frequently and pumping every time after he nurses-and still no luck! I cannot get rid of this current one. I am getting very frustrated and am seriously thinking about giving up. I do not know if I can deal with a plugged duct every 2-3 days which is what has happend for the last week. Any suggestions????

Default Re: repeated plugged ducts--help!!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things once you have the plugged duct, but what is causing them in the first place? If you could figure that out and correct it maybe that would solve the problem.
    Are you sleeping on your stomach? Carrying a heavy purse or diaper bag? Underwire bra? Ill fiting bra?
    I've heard people has success with certain supplements like lethicin? Maybe your LC could suggest other ideas. Good luck, I've had two so far and they're no fun!!!! What caused them for me was waiting too long between nursings. If I feel myself starting to get full it's better to go get my lo even if she doesn't actively seem hungry once she's latched she's like "oh yeah, I am hungry."

I feel for you momma . I've struggled with clogged ducts every other day since I returned to work 2 months ago. But the last 2 weeks I have got somewhat of a handle on them. Unfortunately some of us are just prone to them which really sucks. This is what has helped me:
    1. 1200mg of Lecithin 2-3 times a day
    2. Vitamin C tablets 2-3 times a day
    3. Applying a warm sock filled w/rice right b4 and during feeding DD at home (even when I don't have a clog)
    4. Bra free at home
    5. Not holding my breasts while feeding
    6. I stopped pumping at home (I noticed I got them more frequently the more I pumped, but I still pump at work for only 10 minutes a session)
    7. SLEEP but never on your belly
    8. Relax when nursing, it helped me to talk to someone while nursing to get my mind off of it

I hope some of that info helps you. I know it seems like a lot but going through all those things sure beats the discomfort of a clogged duct.

Thank you for all of the info. How long do plugged ducts usually last? I am not sure what the cause is-not sleeping on stomach, no tight bra. Am I supposed to pump after my LO nurses to try to help get it out? It has been over 24 hours now. It is not worse but definately any better.