Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To wake or not to wake...

Default To wake or not to wake...

My LO is falling into somewhat of a nursing pattern, he will be 1 month on Wed. He has tons of 'snacks' during the morning and afternoon. Later afternoon the nursing sessions go longer, and when we hit fussy time he cluster feeds. Then most nights he falls asleep around 7:30-8:00 and I have been waking him up around 10:30 to eat again but I think he would sleep a lot longer if I let him go. Should I start letting him nurse when he wants at this time instead of waking him up to nurse, as the 3 hour mark passes?

He's gained lots of weight, a pound a week so far... and I know that overall I hit over the 8-10 feedings a day. But what I want to know is it okay if some sessions are like an hour apart and some 4 hours?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: To wake or not to wake...

Perhaps others will disagree with me, but I always went with the philosohpy that if he was gaining weight and eating a good number of times a day and producing enough wet diapers, then he was fine. Who would want to wake a sleeping baby- they are finally calm and quiet! No, if it gets excessive (at this age, let's say 5 hours) I may wake him at that point. I fed on demand and rarely woke him up to eat, and he's 12 months now and growing like a champ. HTH

I agree with the post above. If he's fine weight wise, then let him sleep. If a baby is not waking from sleep, he's not hungry. If he had a weight issue and still slept, then I'd wake him but if not let him sleep It will also help form a good sleep schedule for him as he gets older. You're doing great!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

i had the same debate when my ds was one month... and someone said..if you were sleeping soundly, how would you feel if someone woke you up? so, i took everyone's advice, and let him sleep. when he wakes up he eats a lot... my pedi said that he's old enough to know when he is hungry. My ds can go 6 hours without eating (and i get a nice long sleep!). When he did that the first few times, i was freaking out, but I soon enjoyed "sleeping through the night"...So don't worry about how many hours have passed, as long as he's gaining, and has enough wet diapers, let him set his own eating schedule.

I agree with pps. If your LO is not gaining well, that's one thing. But if he's gaining well, has a decent diaper output, and is not waking to be fed, then he's fine. I frustrated the hospital staff by refusing to wake my LO to nurse even while we were in the hospital. We all needed our sleep! She is gaining and growing and always lets me know when she's hungry, so I don't worry about it and have not had any problems. I say let him sleep!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Just another vote for letting him sleep and you get some sleep while you can!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Once he's regained to his birth weight, you can nurse on demand, unless there are other problems to deal with(dehydration, jaundice, etc.). So, sounds to me like you should wait until he wakes up to be fed.

I agree with all the pps. My LO was sleeping 10pm-3am last week (he is now 5 weeks, gaining well), and now he is up to nurse every 2 hours at night. How I miss those longer stretches. Enjoy the sleep while it lasts. Then again, maybe you have a sleeper and this will be his routine going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
    Once he's regained to his birth weight, you can nurse on demand, unless there are other problems to deal with(dehydration, jaundice, etc.). So, sounds to me like you should wait until he wakes up to be fed.
    Yeah he had really bad jaundice at first so I was freaking out and feeding him all the time! I didn't want a yellow baby!! I guess I need to get out of that mind set and let him start to set our feeding schedule.

TY for all the great feedback, these forums help me make it through each day. Who knew BF'ing was so fun/rewarding... yet complicated.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I hear you about worrying. My LO took some time to gain weight, but once it was resolved, I stopped worrying. So try to get it out of your mind. If your lo is gaining well and looking happy, all is good

I agree about the forums. I wouldn't be at month 5 without these forums!

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Yeah he had really bad jaundice at first so I was freaking out and feeding him all the time! I didn't want a yellow baby!! I guess I need to get out of that mind set and let him start to set our feeding schedule.

TY for all the great feedback, these forums help me make it through each day. Who knew BF'ing was so fun/rewarding... yet complicated.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com