Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Wean From Pump

Default How to Wean From Pump

Hi All,

DD is 11 months and I would like to wean from pumping by her 1st bday. I do still plan on breastfeeding her during the night, but would like to retire Madame Pump. Any ideas/suggestions on what I should do?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: How to Wean From Pump

Tiffony - We're a couple weeks behind you (DS was born 7/24/06). I've been doing some "reading ahead" and wanted to share these with you:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug05p170.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct03p183.html

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Lyn, thanks for the link. I did a search and it came up. I'm thinking that the first (actual) suggestion might work. Going to try and start this week or next, so that the transition won't be that dramatic.

Are you planning to do the same?

"Don't toush da mango"

I'm not sure yet ... DS is eating solids, but not enough to make up the bulk of his nutritional needs. I tried feeding him plain whole milk yogurt and he ended up with a nasty rash on his face where the yogurt touched his skin ... and I'm hoping that this doesn't foreshadow an intolerance / allergy to drinking cow milk.

I had originally wanted to stop pumping when DS turns 1 year old ... but now I don't think that he'll be ready to cut back that much on his breastmilk intake (and I don't have much of a freezer stash right now because I had early problems with lipase and only started freezing recently).

He's also a little guy (less than 15 lbs at his 9 mo checkup !!) so with the breastmilk I know that he's getting lots of good calories and fat (and all that other good BM stuff) that he's not yet getting from other foods.

I'd REALLY like to pack away my pump soon ... but in my gut (or is that heart?) I know it will be a little while longer for us.
    Lynn

Lynn

I know that she eats solids when I'm not around. When I'm there, it's just me and maybe a few cheerios or fruit. I'm unsure too, but I know that I can't deal with the pumping anymore. Will not stop bf-ing, but definitely over the pump.

"Don't toush da mango"

I waited until after 12 months to cut out pumping. I wanted her to still be getting bm as her primary nutrition, or at least a substantial portion of it, up until then. She stopped taking bottles (i.e. refused them) at about 11 months and she wouldn't take *much* ebm from a sippy. DH and the nanny were mixing it with her food too but we still had a surplus, so I just ended up cutting down pumping in the natural course of things. I was down to pumping about 1-2 times per day by the time she was 12 mos. so I just phased those out over a few weeks. I always took my pump to work with me just in case I felt engorged to avoid plugged ducts while "pump weaning."
    Do you plan to continue bottles or switch to sippies for other liquids? Do you want to give her cow's milk during the day instead? That's what we did. She has full fat cow or soy milk during the day, starting after 12 mos., and bfs in the early morning and evening. (At 12 mos. she was still waking multiple times a night but now that's pretty much over with. Oh, gotta love reverse cycling. )
    Hope some of this helps.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I just added to one of those threads (the one I started) my experience, but unfortunately, as a result of the pregnancy, it probably won't apply. Giving up the pump is like giving up smoking or something--and I don't know why. I pumped until Haylee was 14 months, and probably would have continued for a while beyond even that.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

We do bottles with ebm and sippies with water now. At 12 months, I want to give her milk during the day (organic), but DH has a thing against it and wants to give her soy.

She definitely nurses at night - all night! So I'm not worried. I currently pump 3 times a day. Today I just pumped once (because I forgot a membrane for the breastshield and DH had to bring it to me), but I want to start now, so that it won't be such a shock to my system. Planning on pumping only twice a day for a week or so. Then gradually, down to once a day, etc..

Erin, I'll check your posting.

"Don't toush da mango"

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    We do bottles with ebm and sippies with water now. At 12 months, I want to give her milk during the day (organic), but DH has a thing against it and wants to give her soy.

She definitely nurses at night - all night! So I'm not worried. I currently pump 3 times a day. Today I just pumped once (because I forgot a membrane for the breastshield and DH had to bring it to me), but I want to start now, so that it won't be such a shock to my system. Planning on pumping only twice a day for a week or so. Then gradually, down to once a day, etc..

Erin, I'll check your posting.
    That sounds like a great plan. Just don't rush, especially if have had any past issues with plugged ducts.
    I know I jokingly complain about the reverse cycling, but I am happy that she kept it up for a while because I knew she was still getting plenty of breastmilk! She's just grown out of it at this point, I guess because she eats a lot more regular food now. My big girl.
    The soy vs. cow is another question but I'm not really up on all the pros and cons. We just do some of both, organic.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on