Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3rd Time Mommy...New to BF'ing!

Default 3rd Time Mommy...New to BF'ing!

Hi everyone! My name is Jamie and I’m about to become a mommy for the 3rd time. My little bundle is scheduled to arrive one week from today via c-section. I didn’t BF my other 2 children but would really like to give it a try this time. I’m a bit nervous about it though. I really know very little about BF’ing but I’m going to contact someone locally w/La Leche this week.

Anyway, this might sound silly but could some of you think back to the early days when you first started BF’ing and offer any words of wisdom, advice, comfort, etc. for me? Again, I really don’t know anything about what to do.

TIA!
    Jamie

Default Re: 3rd Time Mommy...New to BF'ing!

Hi. I'm also a 3rd time mama but this will be the first I will BF. I was thinking I would be the only one. Nice to know I'm not alone.

My best advice is ask many questions (this is a great place for help) Also know that you and your lo might hit it off great or may be a challenge but it is well worth it as your baby will be healthier. I had many struggles when starting and it's 13 mo later and I am glad that I was determined to breastfeed. Just be patient and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I am a first-time mama and have not been doing this for very long (about 2 months), but I will tell you this: Just stick with it. BF'ing might be super easy for you, or you might have challenges, like I did. But you CAN overcome the challenges, and it is so worth it.

I had some moments where I was really, really discouraged. Fortunately, I had a good amount of support from my family, my LLL leader, and my hospital's LC, and with that support and my own determination (stubborness?) I managed to get through and am now a champion bf'er.

So, my advice? If it gets tough, hang in there. Find lots of support (LC, LLL, these forums). Learn to relax and experiencing nursing as something you do with your LO and not just for your LO. It makes the whole experience special, which makes it easier for you and baby to do it successfully. And enjoy--it's an awesome thing!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

P.S. There are some good videos on bf'ing that show you exactly what to do, if you feel like that would help, and LLL has a good book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, that has descriptions and photos and lots of advice on all sorts of situations you might run into.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hi there!
    The best advice I can give you is to nurse EARLY and OFTEN, and to get help IMMEDIATELY if you have any problems. Don't suffer in silence! If you wish, you can get ahold of a LLL Leader in your area (see the link in my sig) for help!

Here is an article for you on BFing after a c-section:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/cesarean.html

Hugs and good luck Mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!