Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Here....

Default New Here....

Hello ladies. My name is Bobbie. I have a 21 month old, Maggie. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with my 2nd little girl. I did not breastfeed with my 1st, but I plan on trying to bf with this one. I know this may sound so silly, but I am scared about bfing. I don't know why I have this mental hangup about it. I don't see the boobs as sexual or anything like that. Why do I feel that it is not a natural thing for me? I really want to try to do it this time though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I look forward to chatting with you ladies!!

bj

Default Re: New Here....

Why are you worried? Because it gives you something to worry about!! That's why!! You're pregnant!

Advice? Read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"

Try and find a local La Leche League meeting and attend a few before your babe arrives, it is a great idea to meet some moms that have "been there done that." It is not at all uncommon to find moms that did not bf the first go round and did it the second time. I bet your concerns are fairly common.

Tell your dh/so, your mom, your girlfriends and anyone that will listen about your intentions. You will need their support in the beginning.

Read up on the many health benefits to you and your babe. It will help you persevere in the beginning!

Talk to your OB/GYN about bfing. Tel him/her that you intend to so that you can include it in your birth plan at the hospital. So many issues can be avoided during those first few days ifyou stick to your guns.

And stick around!! We're a likeable bunch, and there is NO question to crazy to ask!! Gotta love the anonymity of the internet!
    Last edited by Kelly Ann; June 19th, 2007 at 07:07 AM.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I totally felt the same way! Reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding really helped a lot. But I was a little freaked out until I actually did it. Just make sure your nurses help you with latching on. Also, I wish I had gotten on this site WAY sooner. Everyone here is helpful and supportive, hopefully you have found a new home
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

WELCOME! And good for you!

I'd recommend attending a class as well - I think too many women take for granted that they'll just be able to figure out breastfeeding, whereas in the beginning, it can be a little tricky you and baby are learning together.

I agree with the pp, put it in your birth plan and try to get your little one to latch right after birth. I strongly advocate birth bonding! The labor and lactation nurses at the hospital my dd was born were wonderful, they helped me every time I tried to nurse in those first 24 hours, but I had to ask for their help, and I nursed my dd every 2 hours - eventhough she was sleepy, we'd wake her up - we needed the practice!

Congratulations and Good Luck! BFing is a decision you'll really be proud you made, I am!

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

Thanks ladies!! I will go and get that book. I am glad that I found this website before giving birth. I am sure that after she comes I will be piling the questions on you ladies, LOL.

Thanks again!!

bj

Welcome! All I can do is second what all the pps said. This site has been a huge resource for me. They have answered many, many questions about many, many things and put a smile back on my face when I was in tears before!

I wish I had gotten involved with LLL before I started bf'ing. I watched a video and read books, but I wasn't prepared for the challenge of flat nipples and nurses who had little to offer me in training or support. Fortunately, I found a great LC and things improved. But I'd advise doing your research now, so you'll have a head start.

And, I've said this to other people before. It's something I read in Dr. Sears' the baby book, and I love it: Think of parenting (in this case, bf'ing) as something you do WITH your baby and not just FOR him/her. When I think of it that way, it makes bf'ing a really special experience.

My advice? Hang in there if it gets challenging, ask lots of questions (none are stupid questions), and enjoy the intimate relationship you'll have with your LO! As with all things that are new, it gets easier with practice, and soon it will be second nature.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I, too, am about 25 weeks into my second pregnancy! And I, too, did not breastfeed my first. I gave birth to my son over 10 years ago and was not at all interested in breastfeeding...didn't "feel right" for me. Then, after he was about a month old, I noticed all the nursing moms out there and witnessed their bonding experiences with their babies...and I wasn't one of them! I made a vow that with my next baby, I would definitely breastfeed. I felt like I missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with my son that I'd never get back, though we bonded from the beginning in many other ways and he's still a "mama's boy!"

I'm looking forward to this upcoming adventure! It'll be something new for me and my new baby. I'm going to ask as many questions as I can think of, and I'm going to run out and get that book, too! My best friend bf'ed all three of her boys, and she's got my back (even gave me her hospital grade pump so I wouldn't have to buy one). I'm so thankful that I have the support of my husband, family and friends. They'll help me through it. I pray that you have the same support!

I agree with what several other posters said--tell anyone who will listen and who may need to speak for you at any time that you intend to breastfeed. We were adamant, but there were nurses who assumed we would formula-feed. This in spite of the fact that we had a big poster on the door of my room and on Thomas's incubator thing saying that we were learning to breastfeed and wanted nothing else given. It ended up being a great experience though. The main thing you can do is be insistent--and have people who can insist on your behalf--sometimes you feel like you're being difficult (or I did anyway), but you're not. Once the hospital staff saw how determined we were about it, they really jumped in with us. (Maybe a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? ) Come here and ask questions anytime; if not for these forums I never would have made it.