Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about pacifier!

Default Re: question about pacifier!

Quote Originally Posted by heatherama
    she'll even be fussy when her dh is holding her or playing with her for more than an hour.
    is that normal?
    I might be reading this wrong, and what I am about to say might also be a "duhhhh", but with that said.... With my first dd I was told to be very careful about overstimulation, because that would upset her. I mention the overstimulation only because you said "playing with her for more than an hour". Perhaps it's overstimulation, too, that causes her to be upset when DH or others are holding her? Just a thought....

And, my first DD would not take a pacifier when others tried to force one on her, and I am glad, because it was totally against my wishes, even though several people tried to get me to use one. I had a great pediatrician who also taught me some tricks to get her to self-soothe when I absolutely could not be the one to soothe her. And, I, too, made myself available as much as possible, because I knew she needed her Momma.

I am 37 weeks pregnant with my 2nd DD (c-section scheduled for 5/4), and I plan to to exclusively breastfeed this one, too. My first DD was with my first husband; this child is with my 2nd DH. So, I have a whole new set of in-laws to train! LOL

As a mother, I have learned, you just have to follow your "gut" about things. You are the mother!

Best wishes.

my DS took a pacifier from about 4 weeks old. he is now 12 weeks old and hasnt used one for about 2 weeks since he found his fists. he's now found his thumb - it's really cute
    but he really was a "sucky baby" - I got hickeys on my arm & neck from him trying to suck the mummy smell - I'd feed him for 45 minutes, he'd have milk drooling out of him and still he needed to suck.
    he never fell asleep with the pacifier, but it did help calm him, particularly if he was overstimulated.

About thumb sucking...my 1st DD's pediatrician also told me that it is absolutely okay for her to suck her thumb, which she liked to do (actually...thumbs, fingers, knuckles LOL). He told me that, unlike when I was growing up, it is no longer believed to be a sole cause of orthodonture (sp?) problems. My 1st DD easily stopped sucking her thumb later, too, so no problems there. I just wanted to throw that out there.

i didn't think about overstimulation but that could be very likely.
    dh plays with her, not rough, but he does constantly sing or make noises or conversation or use toys.
    it's good to hear from others who have opted to not use pacifiers at all or often. last night i told my own mother that i was upset about constant pacifier comments and she said i should use a pacifier eventually but she also said 'you're her momma and it's up to you!'

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2
    I had a great pediatrician who also taught me some tricks to get her to self-soothe when I absolutely could not be the one to soothe her.

OH! If you have time, could you please tell us what some of those tricks are? We have been giving ds our pinkies and trying to teach him that his fists/fingers/thumb would taste lovely if he was willing to try them out... We also have tried several brands/types of pacifiers, but he really only wants the pinky or the breast. And there are just sometimes when it's impossible for him to have either one. In the carseat for example. I gave him my pinky once in the car while dh was driving, but we hit a really tiny bump and I just had this vision of my finger getting rammed into the back of tender little throat if we ever got in an accident, so that was the end of that. And I feel so sad when he is crying and wanting to be comforted and I just can't and he doesn't know how to do it himself.

Also, does anybody have any advice about how to introduce a pacifier? We have had a tiny bit of success with one brand. He already takes a bottle while I have to be gone to classes, and he still is very good at the breast, so I'm not worried about nipple confusion. I didn't expect the binky to be such a struggle.

Oh pacis...I really think that it is a personal choice. My experience is that my two boys would only take Nuk brand silicone orthodontic ones. My first son took it finally after about 6 weeks, I didn't introduce it until 4 weeks, and I needed him to not be on the breast 24/7 which he was, I needed to go grocery shopping ect. He only used it for about 2 weeks. My second son had one before even having the breast (NICU with a tube coming out of his mouth...he kept trying to suck that and he was SO hungry! I felt bad!) he had a bit on nipple confusion, but we worked on it by taking a way the binky for awhile. With him it was a life saver, he was a very sucky baby too, and I needed to have a few minutes for my first born! He has now given it up, on his own, at about 6 months. He also sucked his thumb. But he no longer does that either.

I used to jump to my first son with any wimper, and it started that way with the second one too. But I have since learned that DS #2 can self soothe, he may fuss for a minute, but he finds something else to capture his attention for a few minutes while I am making dinner or something and cannot come right to him. I don't let him cry, I go to him immediately then, but the complaining without tears, I let him complain until I can get there. There is a difference if you pay attention to it!

Good luck!

Sarah