Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 day old SICK baby

Exclamation 11 day old SICK baby

Ok...this is my second baby, but my first was soooo healthy I don't know what to do. Lucy is 11 days old and sick sick sick. She has a nasty cold....sniffles, sneezing, coughing, and BUGGERS!!! She is having trouble sleeping and eating. She doesn't have a fever, but I am starting to get really worried. I know that she got it from me and her brother...which kills me...but that is beside the point. Right now we are just using an aspirator occasionally and saline drops every now and then. I am trying to nurse her as much as she will let me. We have a cold air humidfier and will use it tonight....but is there anything else I can do for such a young child???? Ideas???

Default Re: 11 day old SICK baby

it is horrible when they are sick...esp when so young.

Have you tried elevating dd mattress slightly to help with breathing while in bed....keeping the air in he room moist will help he clear secretions...regular nursing will pass on your antibodies...as you had the cold too...and should help her fight it off quickly.

here is a link to kellymom with other suggestions

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...ness.html#cold

I hope she feels better soon

Thanks for the link. It did have a few things that I haven't tried yet. I will try to elevate her head while in bed, but she sleeps in a mini-co-sleeper...not much room for a pillow under the mattress. I will give it a shot though. I have been trying to get her to sleep sitting upright in against my chest while I am sitting up to help with drainage, but then I don't get any sleep. We will have to try tummy to tummy again. Thank you!

Try squirting some BM in her nose. DS had the SAME thing right at 10 days old...my friend's kids got him sick so i know what you are going through. its hard, and i'm sorry

try to sit in a steamy bathroom for a little while, that may help too.

good luck and let us know how she's doing
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Yup, breast milk in the nose, it works wonders for Emily still. Faster and lasts longer than the saline drops. Hang in there!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Poor little one! No other advice, just that we also went through the same thing with #3. You feel so badly for them.....