Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Pump on an Airplane

Default Breast Pump on an Airplane

I just posted the same thread on the working and breastfeeding section: I need some help...I work part time and mostly from home so I barely have to pump. This Thursday I have to fly to Boston for a quick day trip. I can't find anything on the TSA website about carrying on a breast pump. They have virtually every other medical device known to man listed but no breast pump. I did find that without my baby I cannot carry on breast milk. Does anyone have any experience with this? I suppose I can dump the breast milk but I’d hate to have my $$$ breast pump confiscated by an inexperienced TSA employee!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Breast Pump on an Airplane

Although I had my baby with me, I recently travelled with a breast pump and they were OK with it after inspection.

I have brought my PIS pump on board, for space reasons I only brought the motor part and left the rest at home. IF you are super worried about it have your pedi. write a note, also if you have it bring along the instruction manual so that they can see what it is. IF people can bring on video games, and cameras and what not a pump should be fine. In regards to bringing the breast milk back. True they will not let you bring it on the plane, but you can check it it your luggage. Just put them in a little cooler with lots of ice. I did this for our 6 hour drive and the milk was still nice and cold and when we got home it went straight into the fridge.

I've had to travel many times for work with my pump. There's no issue with bringing it on the plane. At various times they have asked what it is, but haven't given me a problem about it. Although this was before the liquid restrictions, I have always brought my PIS with the cooler pack compartment. Often times I've had to pump in the airport restroom with a battery pack (not fun at all). I wouldn't dump the BM. I'd try to bring it through. Worst case is they'd make you dump it, but in my experience the airport security people are much more embarassed by it than I was.

I also had my son with me, but they didn't even look at it on our departure flight. Coming home, they checked every piece we had with us, but checked and carry on, but nothing was said specifically about the pump.

I can almost gaurentee they will not let you take the milk on board without a baby, but I agree with a pp about putting it in a small cooler in your check bag if possible.

I have taken my PIS (circa 2003) through security and on planes 4 times now in the last few weeks with no problem. They usually pulled me aside and did a thorough check of it. With breastmilk you have with, you are limited to a 1 quart zip lock bag with any liquid you want to carry on in contains in it. Just go through security and have extra zip locks with you--get ice for them at the nearest cafe.

I never had to pump on board the plane--just in the airports. A few times in the bathroom with the battery and once found a quiet nook with no one around and covered up with my Bebe Au Lait. :-)
    Best Wishes!
    Jessica

I too am traveling next week for work and am nursing my 3 month old. I called TSA, and they said it's not an issue to bring the breast pump through security, but if you have expressed milk with you and no infant or toddler traveling with you, you cannot take it through security. So if you want to keep your expressed milk, it has to be pitched or checked in your checked luggage