Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No BM for 3 days?

Default No BM for 3 days?

My 5.5 month old EBF dd is on day 4 (day 4 being today) of no bm's (she is not on solids yet either). She never goes this long. She is perfectly fine, eating great, happy, doesn't seem in any pain at all. I know that sometimes going this long is normal, but it ISN'T normal in her. Could she be constipated? When should I worry?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: No BM for 3 days?

From what I understand it is absolutely normal for exclusively bf baby to go for several days without a bm. My dd usually goes once every 6-7 days, but sometimes even longer, and sometimes she goes twice or more in one day. The longest she went without a stool was 21 days! I was really worried at that time, but as long as the poops are normal in consistency (not hard and pellet like) then everything is fine. Here is some more information: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/norma...ormal%20Stools

I had the same concerns with my son, but the pedi said as long as he is not in pain, nursing and wetting normally, and the poop is normal consistency (not hard, etc.) that it was fine. Bfed babies don't always poop as often as formula-fed.
    Sometimes my son goes 3+ times per day, other times he goes several days between. Maybe it depends somewhat on what types of foods we eat???

My little guy also goes a few times a day occasionally and some days not at all. Whenever I worry because he hasn't gone in a few days, (although he doesn't seem uncomfortable either) I try putting a lube like diaper rash cream (I love Sudocrem) on his little bum. The stimulation to his anus seems to make him go real quick. I learned this trick when he was in the hospital with a fever at 8 weeks. Everytime they would take his temperature rectally he would poop right after and eventually started doing it while they were taking his temperature (those poor nurses).

Works like a charm for us.