Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bfar

Question Bfar

Hello!

I had a breast reduction before having my daughter. I was able to BF and she latched on successfully. However, my supply dried up quickly and I switched to formula by six weeks. I am TTC #2 and want to better prepare myself for BF.

I would like to hear from others who BFAR and what helped you increase your milk supply. I don't mind taking vitamin supplements, but I'm not crazy about the idea of taking medication? I probably wasn't eating enough which didn't help. Do you have to increase your calories even more BFAR???

TIA for your input!!

Default Re: Bfar

i don't have any advice for you, but i am sure some of the other mamas will jump in. good luck ttc and i'm sure you will find much great information regarding your scenario and hopefully some solutions too!

Hi! I'm a BFAR mommy. I had a reduction in between my two children.
    Have you checked out www.bfar.org ? That has lots of good information. There is a book also, and you can get info about that from the site.
    My story is here.... http://www.bfar.org/stories/reduction/nicole2.php

To be honest, I never did anything to increase supply. I nursed a LOT. Still do. At least every hour and a half. And I never supplemented, because I knew that could affect my supply negatively. If you do HAVE to supplement(and I would highly suggest double-checking that with other sources if your doctor recommends it), it should be done at the breast with a supplemental nursing system, not bottles. I would discourage use of pacifiers as well.
    It is important to make sure you eat enough, and many BFAR mommies do use medications like Reglan or Domperidone with good results. Had the need arisen, I definitely would have used those before supplementing with formula. Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, and oatmeal are all good natural galactogogues. It's also important to drink lots of water.

How long has it been since your reduction? The longer it's been, the more likely you are to have regenerated tissue and ducts that will help boost your ability to produce.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thumbs up Re: Bfar

WOW! I had NO idea there was a site for BFAR. Thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely check that out. I sincerely appreciate the input on the vitamins and your opinion about the medication. I don't know enough about the medication to make an informed decision, so I'll have to research that if my supply is low the 2nd time around.

My reduction was six and a half years ago. My reduction surgeon told me while I was pregnant that I would have a 98% chance of BF (which I was thrilled to learn). I do have the equipment that allows me to supplement but have the baby drink it at the breast. That worked okay for me. It was a bit awkward at first, I must admit. I hope I won't need it!

Thanks again!

Mari - thanks for the warm welcome! Nicole was a big help. I welcome other responses from BFAR Mommies as well!

I highly recommend Diana West's book, Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Reduction Surgery.

Her site, www.bfar.org also offers a forum where you can talk directly to other BFAR moms.
    http://bfar.org/members/fora/

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyEyes BFAR View Post
    WOW! I had NO idea there was a site for BFAR. Thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely check that out. I sincerely appreciate the input on the vitamins and your opinion about the medication. I don't know enough about the medication to make an informed decision, so I'll have to research that if my supply is low the 2nd time around.

My reduction was six and a half years ago. My reduction surgeon told me while I was pregnant that I would have a 98% chance of BF (which I was thrilled to learn). I do have the equipment that allows me to supplement but have the baby drink it at the breast. That worked okay for me. It was a bit awkward at first, I must admit. I hope I won't need it!

Thanks again!
    Great! 6 1/2 years is a long time in this sense. And with a doctor that optimistic, it would seem he probably did the best procedure to allow you to nurse. So yay! My surgeon said, "If you could breastfeed before, you'll be able to after the surgery." So there you go.

The SNS definitely takes some practice. I would suggest once you are pregnant, being in contact with a local IBCLC familiar with BFAR(there's a list on bfar.org) and your local LLL leader. That way, if you need help with anything, like the SNS, they'll be ready to help you.

Hi...

I'm responding to this very old thread in the hopes that I will find other first-time moms-to-be that intend to BFAR. I'm in the middle of reading "Defining Your Own Success" and am finding it chock full of info that should help me in my journey, but it's also nice to meet up with others who are in similar circumstances who will offer personal support and encouragement with such a daunting task!

My reduction surgery was 10 years ago and, as far as I know, was the best procedure available to preserve my BF capabilities. However, only time will tell and I am not due until December! I have another possible monkey wrench which is the fact that just before I conceived I was diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma (or prolacinoma). I'm wondering if that might have an affect on BF once my baby girl is here.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and let others know that I welcome any input, advice or opinions that they may have regarding BFAR! Feel free to contact me privately at any time. I will be more than happy to share my personal stories as I experience this new and exciting (but stressful!) joy in my life
    "A person's a person no matter how small!"
    ~ Dr. Seuss