Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She doesn't suck

Question She doesn't suck

I can count TWO times since she was born when I have put 5 month old dd to breast and she has started to suck. When she first latches on I can feel her tongue fluttering and when letdown happens, she starts to suck and swallow. This creates some pretty lengthy feedings sometimes. She is also very impatient at times when there is no letdown right away. I have tried breast compressions but that rarely helps.

Does anyone else have a baby that does this? I had an overabundance of milk for a while which we finally corrected. I think she got so used to milk just pouring out and that is how she learned to eat. Just open her mouth and swallow. LOL! Do you think this is possible. The two times that she has actually sucked from the start were times where she was hungry but I took a bit too long to get to her and she was quite upset by the time I did. Every other time she has eaten, I have been right there for her. I am actually quite impressed with myself that that is even possible in this house. LOL!!

Do you think she'll get better at sucking to bring down the milk quicker or do you think that if she is like this at 5 months, this is how it's going to be?

I am just so tickled that we've made it this far. If this is how it's going to be, then we'll just deal with it. I will admit though, it gets a little rough at times when things need to get done and she is taking so long to eat.

Default Re: She doesn't suck

I don't think I understand your question/concern -- I apologize for the question(s), but I'm just trying to be sure I understand.

You are breastfeeding your 5 month old but she doesn't usually ever actually suck on your breast -- she takes a few initial sucks, sucks/swallows during let down and then for the rest of the feeding she just keeps your breast in her mouth without sucking?

Default Re: She doesn't suck

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am just wondering if anyone else has a baby that does this. When she first latches on, I can only feel her tongue flutter very lightly or, to describe it differently, her mouth/chin quivers. She will do that, stop, do it again, stop, etc, until there is a let down. Then she sucks and swallows for 1-2 minutes and then the cycle starts all over. It just seems like she only sucks after there has been a let down and the milk is flowing. The only time she has sucked right when latched on are the two times when she was very upset.

I don't really have any concerns over it since, even though feedings take a while, she is growing nicely. Just wondering if anyone has had a baby that does this and if they ever got more efficient and sucking.