Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my mother-in-law...

Default Re: my mother-in-law...

This whole thing about having your body back completely puzzles me. A breastfeeding mother is just using part of her body for the function it is designed for. And sharing your body with somebody you love is not exactly a hardship, is it? Does anybody ever say: "When will you stop sleeping with your husband so you can have your body back?"

Ha! I think that is the problem for some MILs! They secretly think if their daughter-in-law is breastfeeding and cosleeping, their sons don't get enough nookie!

I am very grateful that my children have four grandparents who are supportive of attachment parenting. And feel sorry for anybody who has to deal with stupid comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hbsmomma
    "they already own my heart...once one more piece of my body"?
    Oh, that's *lovely*!

BTW, the whole BF/AP thing was foreign to my MIL, but when she saw how good it was for DD, she became very supportive. Wish I could say the same for my mom...

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi'sMama
    kids who are AP'd are a pain in the behind to watch and are spoiled.
    Hey, my dd's bestest friend (4 yrs old) is AP and nursed until he was 3-ish, and he's the dearest, sweetest little boy you can imagine. He articulates his need for mommy more than other kids his age, which some people might find annoying, but he is always kind and polite, uses his words, does not hit, call names, etc... I adore him and am so glad he knows what he needs and has parents who recognize the value of that! Wish he were my son... When he is ready for play dates w/o mom, I'll be the first to invite him over!

thanks for all the great replies, its funny what we have to deal with!
    i have a quick update - carter's been kind of weaning himself since we were on vacation in florida last week (i guess with the heat, he'd rather a nice cool drink than warm mommy juice). we went to visit my mom and whenever i come back from time with my awesome, kind and supportive mommy i have a little trouble re-adjusting to my MIL's antics. i think she senses this so she's been really nice to me. yesterday, she told me how proud she is that i was able to bf for so long and did i know in other countries they bf for much longer, if we lived in europe he'd bf until he was 4...it's just our culture that doesn't believe in ebf. i had to laugh, this being the same woman who thinks i'm ruining my son with our immense bond and all. i guess now that the end of bf is in sight she's changing her tune.
    anyway, i'm a little sad my boy is weaning himself. he's not such a baby anymore. in place of bf sessions, he's been running over and giving me big hugs and kisses and then running away to play. so sweet.

Smile Re: my mother-in-law...

My MIL is a real pain too. I'll admit, she is getting better. At first she made comment after comment on breastfeeding. "They say that breastfeeding isn't good, the mother has to eat really well."; "If Oma could feed you I would" (said to the baby, but meant for my ears.) Now she'll occasionally ask if he has had a bottle yet "because he won't breastfeed forever and will need a bottle at some point." I told her that I planned to breastfeed as long as he wanted too (which for my first was about 20 mos), most likely atleast 2 yrs and by than he can use a cup. She was stunned.

My SIL, who is a nurse, actually told my husband on day 2 that he needs to go and buy a pump so I could pump and he could feed him so I could get some sleep. He actually thought she was right because she is a nurse. I told him that she obviously missed the classes on breastfeeding.

It's my bosy and I am choosing to use to nourish my son, that doesn't make it any less mine. Whoever said "They already have my heart, what's one more piece" was right on the money.

God I love this site. . It's so nice to have others on our side.

I understand how you fill, I have had tons of people ask how long I was goin to nurse my oldest and then my next three. My DS and First DD tantummed nursed until my second DD was born and then My both of my DD nursed together until my last DD was born. My third child nursed for about 2 more months and my youngest is still nursing. Just enjoy your baby and dont worry about the other people who aren't informed. Maybe they will learn something int hte long run. My family finally did.

Omgosh, I could start a whole new thread about my mil alone. She's nuts. I can't stand responses like these, and I am sure they are even worse when they are coming from a mil. My mil acts so proud that she nursed. "Oh, I nursed to...blah blah blah..." But when it comes down to it, she only nursed a couple months, and considers herself a bf expert. My own mother will likely be the one to give me a hard time when I bf past a year. She didn't bf us at all and really doesn't understand. She keep getting on my sister about weaning when her dd was only a year. I can only imagine when I get to two years. Glad I have found you guys. There sure isn't much support out there.

My oldest daughters grandmother was very upset with me that I chose to breastfeed my daughter. She thought that I would be like her daughter and let her take over raising my child. SO when I was taking a nap she took my daughter and played with her. This was in the first two weeks. My daughter started crying so she put her own breast in my daughters mouth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carter'smommy
    you have created this IMMENSE BOND with the baby".
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    That's what we're here for!

Sounds like your mil is changing her tune, tho, perhaps she started reading the forum?

My daughter started crying so she put her own breast in my daughters mouth!!!
    Is she crazy? What's wrong with her? It would it be nice if she was a bit older and had teeth and would it bite her, that would it teach her a lesson!