Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need BF help fast!!

Default Need BF help fast!!

Hello All,

I have been exclusively BF my 4 month old son and now it is not going too well. I always bf on demand and never kept any kind of schedule. The problems started about 12 days ago. At first he got a cold and he reduced nursing becuase of his nasal stuffiness. I did not worry because I thought it was temporary and that he would get right back to it. Then we had family over for a couple of days and he just was very, very fussy and not bfing that well but I thought again it was just temporary. I used to get full, feel full on my breasts and leak and feel soft after he would have sucked. I would leak on the other side when he would nurse but now that has not happened for so long. Now, I haven't felt engorgement since last Friday. He just does not nurse enough times, and for long enough. He also pushes my breasts away. I think my milk supply has greatly reduced. I am very sad and upset.

Along with my milk supply I think baby's appetite has reduced also. Does anyone have any ideas to help me?

He usually nurses only once he is sleepy or sleeping. I can tell that he is not getting enough milk because his diapers are barely wet and he is not sleeping well anymore. He is also drooly, and has been chewing his hands a lot and I considered that he may be teething but can he reduce his feeding so much.

I am not ready to wean. I wanted to bf for at least 2 more years. What can I do to?

I am very sure that he is not getting enough nourishment. Today, I tried to feed him my expressed milk with a bottle but he did not want that either. He did take a little bit with a dropper. I started pumping two days ago every two hours and at first I was getting nothing and now I get 1 to 1.5 oz. I will try to continue to pump to try to get the milk supply to build up. But it's very hard since I have a toddler at home also.

A few nights he seemed to nurse very often in the past few days and a few nights he did not nurse well either. Can anyone out there help me in some ways? ANY HELP OR ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPREICATED.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING A FORUM LIKE THIS.

Default Re: Need BF help fast!!

Welcome, and I'm glad you found us, though I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.

It sounds to me like several complicating factors have piled up at once for you guys: baby's cold, a family visit and what sounds like distractibility, and even teething. All these things can disrupt the normal rhythms of a breastfeeding relationship.

When there's a problem with breastfeeding, the baby's hydration is the first thing to pay attention to. A dehydrated baby doesn't drool, doesn't make tears when he cries, and his urine will be reduced and also darker in color. You have noticed that his diapers are not as wet as normal, which is a definite sign of reduced milk intake. On the other hand, you have seen that he is drooling a lot. What color is his urine right now? You can also check the soft spot on his head -- if it is sunken in a bit, that's another sign of dehydration. Gently pinch a little skin on the back of his hand and let go -- if it doesn't immediately spring back to normal shape, that's another sign of dehydration.

Go down this checklist and evaluate his hydration status -- it will determine what needs to be done next.

I have to drive my teenager to school right now -- I'll return to this a little later this morning.

--Rebecca

Default Re: Need BF help fast!!

OK, I'm back, with just a few things to add to my first post.

It does sound like your milk supply has decreased in response to his recent decrease in demand. But don't panic! Your supply can and will increase again, in response to increased demand, either from your baby or from pumping. Engorgement and leaking aren't necessarily signs of good supply, and their absence don't necessarily indicate a problem, so don't worry overmuch about those things.

If you want to continue pumping, it's fine, but don't worry about how much milk you are expressing. It's all about stimulating the breast, not about filling up bottles. Pumping every two hours while also nursing a baby fulltime sounds like a lot to me -- with such frequent pumping, you risk creating the opposite problem of oversupply, which can also disrupt a breastfeeding relationship. I would cut back to pumping only after each feeding, or perhaps only after the feedings that don't go well. And once your baby is back to nursing comfortably and frequently, you can quit pumping altogether -- he'll do the rest.

My last piece of advice is that if you suspect teething, try treating him for pain, and see if that helps bring him back to normal nursing.

--Rebecca