Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore when i pump...

Default sore when i pump...

i am not sure if my problems are pump related or something else. i have always hurt very badly when i pump, i even have tried larger shields and the comfort shields from medela. makes no difference. at home i use a medela pis, at work i have access to hospital grade pump that i use. even if i have suction on lowest setting, it hurts, and i am very tender for days after. nursing doesn't hurt, but my bras do...when i have been off of work for 2 or 3 days (i do 3 12 hour shifts/week), i don't hurt at all. well, today i noticed i had a little red dot on the upper part of my breast, not even where the shield would rub, i thought nothing of it, at work tonight, i started to itch, when i pulled my shirt aside to look, i have two lines about 3 inches long, almost look like stretch marks, but are bright red, along my breast. they are not where the shield is, but above that. they aren't tender, but my breast is very tender, there are no lumps or hard spots, and my milk is still pumping as normal, i usually pump every 2-3 hours and get anywhere from 5-8 oz from both breasts combined. this is just on one breast, although both breasts hurt, almost like an ache feeling, not like fullness, but tender to touch and have bra on (i can't run around a hospital all night braless-although i'd love to, i hate bras ) anyone have any idea what could be going on ? thanks in advance...

Default Re: sore when i pump...

well, shortly after i posted, i broke down and took off my bra...tonight i am NOT wearing one, i am wearing a tank/bra with my scrubs over that. today was a little better, nursing was completely pain-free, and the red marks are a little less red, but i am still sore to touch and am dreading pumping tonight. thank goodness this is my last shift until sunday. i hope someone out there has some words of advice...

I am not sure what to tell you. Its the breast and not the nipple, right?

yes, it is actually not near the nipple, not even really where the shield is at.