Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with clicking noise

Question help with clicking noise

hello. my daughter is 3wks old. we had some latch problems to start which led to cracked bleeding nipples. i've had good luck getting her latched properly using the clutch hold lately. however, since i've switched to the clutch hold, she makes a clicking noise while nursing like she is breaking her seal repeatedly. she does it more on one side. sometimes she'll nurse for 45minutes and not do it at all and sometimes she'll start right away doing it or sometimes in the middle of a feed. it's hard to tell if it hurts because my nipples are so sore anyway but sometimes when she does it it does hurt. the times it doesn't seem painful, should i be concerned about it or just let it go. if it hurts, i'll break the seal and relatch her. but should i do this every time? i just don't want her to get in bad habit that's going to cause me any more pain or problems in the long run. is there anyway to prevent this?

thanks
    shelley

Default Re: help with clicking noise

My son did that too--but more around 6-8 weeks. The only thing we could think of was that it was at that point he was introduced to a bottle. Have you been using a pacifier or bottle? I would just stick to the breast for now if you have. My son eventually passed through the phase. Just be sure to watch your baby'sdiapers to make sure that she is taking in enough milk. Also, try pulling her chin down when she does that to help adjust the latch. Keep us posted, especially if you figure it out because I'm not sure we ever did. He just seemed to grow out of it.-Kristie

It's a poor latch and you should fix it. What causes it exactly, I'm not sure. My baby has problems flanging out his lips, so I try to shove the areola in and also try to pull up on his upper lip to get them correct. Not so easy!!

call your local leader and talk to her
    she can help you figure out if the baby is latching on right.
    its hard to do on line.
    Also you might have the baby checked for tonge-tie.
    that can cause them to click when they nurse.

I 2nd that you have the baby checked for tongue tie

An LC saw my baby and said his frenulum was a bit tight (tongue tie) but not enough to warrent clipping. So it's interesting that you have the clicking associated with tongue tie. I CAN see the tongue on the sides of his mouth when nursing, which is why the LC said my son was ok.

thanks for the replies. she hasn't had any artificial nipples at all. my midwives did check her latch and said it's good but that was before this started. her lips are flanged and her mouth is open wide, if i move her bottom lip, i can see her tongue there, she just started this clicking thing when we switched positions. if it is tongue tie, could the position change affect that?

thanks again,
    shelley

My son is tongue tied and it never affected bf. The ped says we don't need to clip his frenulum becuase it should stretch on its own with time, although he does have a small (what appears to be) a slit in the tip of his tongue. I don't recall any clicking sounds other than the -what i thought was-"normal "clicking sounds all bf babies make. The only hold that worked for us is the regular cradle hold, although at a few months we did lay on our sides for nighttime feedings-that helped me go back to sleep, and also started our co-sleeping, which i still can't give up!!! And if your nipples are dry and cracking, lanisoh has lanolin for bf. It's been a miracle for me, for more than what its intended for-i love it on my hands, especially this time of year!!!

Talking Re: help with clicking noise

Hi Shelley,

It could in theory, yes. Clicking in *any* position is not "normal," likewise *any* (and I do mean ANY) degree of short/tight frenulum is an issue. Even if a mother doesn't have pain when nursing-which is often the first sign something is not quite right- short frenulums affect all kinds of things, from speech to dental health; e.g eating, licking an ice cream cone, etc. Another misnomer is that if the baby can get its tongue out and over the gum line that there is no tie; this is simply not true. A baby can have a simple tie, which can look pretty normal most of the time, and it can still be a HUGE issue.

Please be sure you see someone in person, like an LLL Leader or an IBCLC. Anyone can claim to be an LC, so it's important that they have the initials of IBCLC so that you know they are knowledgeable.

Clicking while nursing can also be caused by thrush or by palate issues. Clicking is NOT normal, under any circumstances; it does mean something is going on in the mouth. If you want more links to info about frenulum issues, please let me know and I will post them.

WarmLLLy,
    Tallis

my daughter clicked for many weeks (too many to count) and the dr. and i first thought it was thrush which we both were treated for. eventually my nipples healed (i had other serious issues) and everything seemed right except she was still clicking and my nipples still hurt. i thought maybe that's just the way it was going to be until i used a different pillow one day to support my arm. when she latched on and started bf-ing it didn't hurt and the clicking went away for the most part. it turned out she was latched on correctly but i wasn't supporting her head fully so as her head got tired and started hanging down without me realizing it.

even if her mouth is latched on correctly, make sure you are supporting her fully. hopefully you heal soon, i know how painful and frustrating it can be.