Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about Colostrum and Early milk

Default Question about Colostrum and Early milk

Question! My son was born on May 1. I just thawed out two bags of breastmilk, one from 5/18- had a yellowish color to it and left like a greasy feel and look to the bottle. And one from 6/3 that was very white and had like chunky particles in it. The yellowish one had a metalic taste and smell, the white one did not.
    My questions are...
    1. Do you have colostrum mixing in with your milk when your milk is first coming in? Does it last awhile? Could that be my problem with it, would it go bad faster?

2. If its a lipase issue, why does my later milk seem ok? Can lipase dissappear?

I know this isnt probably the right place to post, but i thought with the question about colostrum it might be...

Default Re: Question about Colostrum and Early milk

as far as i know the yellow is colostrum and its not till 2-3 days when ur milk comes in that its mature milk..maybe u could mix the colstrum with ur mature milk i dont see why not?

No see what my problem is is that milk i froze when my son was 2 weeks old is yellow...When it seperates, the fat is yellow and the milk is white/clear. I didnt know if colostrum could still possibly be in that milk or not..

yes it is colostrum being that thats what u have for the first 5 days at least till ur milk comes in...so if u pumped that at the beginning yea its colostrum....

only 5 days? this was 2 weeks after..

If it 2 weeks after it is not colostrum it is just hindmilk. You probably pumped that one when your breast was not very full and the white one when your breast was full. Yellowish substance is the high content of fat in your milk. Unless you let the milk sit in the fridge or outside before you froze it, your milk won't go bad before 3 months. In fact my milk lasts about 4 months since I freeze them as soon as I pump, in sterile bags (that makes a difference too). As far as I know lipase problem does not go away. If you have it your milk will smell and taste sour not metallic.

ooooooooooh sorry i misunderstood...

Ive read that itll have a metalic or soapy taste/smell...
    I dunno. some is fine, some is not, i do the same thing with all the bags..I use sterile bags and put em in to freeze asap