Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Time Nursing

Question Night Time Nursing

I'm currently nursing my 8 month old. We were co-sleeping until about 2 weeks ago when I attempted to move him to his crib. I decided to move him to his crib because he was waking up every 2 hours to nurse. He will only sleep for 1-2 hours at a time by hisself in his crib. I am constantly getting up to nurse him back to sleep thoughout the night. So he is no longer in my bed but I am still sleep deprived. I also have a 3 year old so it is hard to get naps during the day. My husband works long hours and is rarely at home. Any info would be appreciated.

Default Re: Night Time Nursing

This is what happens to me. LO falls asleep, usually in her daddy's arms. He puts her in her crib. She sleeps there for 2-3-4-5 hours. Wakes up to nurse. Falls asleep nursing. But, the second I go to put her back in her crib, she wakes up and starts fussing. I can almost hear what she's trying to say. "oh, no you don't. I get to sleep in Mommy's bed now!" So, I put her in our bed, usually snuggling Daddy and she sleeps there until morning.

So she's a partial co-sleeper.

That's tough! I also have an 8 month old and she has been sleeping in a travel crib in our room (right next to my side of the bed) since she was born. I had tried to move her into her room at night but she is also waking every 3 hours or more often to nurse - usually 4-5 times a night. Usually after the 4 AM feeding she just stays in our bed and nurses on & off until she wakes up at 6-6:30 AM.

I have a 2 year old so I don't keep Ashelyn in her room at night yet for that same reason - the rooms are next to each other and the way the rooms are set up (windows & closets), the cribs have to both be along the same wall, back to back. So if I try to leave Ashelyn in her room and fuss it out a little, she will definitely wake up Lexi. It's certainly a tough situation.

So, after all that said, I am sorry to day I don't have any advice for you as I am in the same boat. I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Good luck and if you find a solution, please share!

Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm also having problems. My LO also loves to sleep with me (3 months old). He wakes every 3 hours to feed and when I try to put him back in his crib (because I don't sleep well with him next to me) he starts to cry even though he's asleep when I put him down. The funny thing is we didn't start out co-sleeping. He did well in his own bed until a few weeks ago and then he started protesting when he'd put him down to sleep at night. We've taken to having him sleep with us when he's hard to settle, which is getting more and more of the time. He got a taste of sleeping with us and now nothing else is good enough. What to do??!!

we're in the same boat, every 2 hours at 7 1/2 mo. old. He just did a couple 4 hour blocks this week. We did the carside crib arrangement (suggested by lovely people on this board), and that works great! Of course, any other ideas are always greatly appreciated. I'm always jealous of the posts that read "sleeping through the night, I am engorged, what to do"....I'm sure thats no fun either, but man, what would I give for one full nights sleep!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK