Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Angry Help

So this is my 3rd child and the only one that has even seemed to be successful with bf. I am so stressed and tired and feel like giving up despite our success. My husband and I have been fighting, I get no sleep and feel like my other 2 kids are missing out due to how much I am feeding the new little one. He will be two weeks soon and I am trying so hard to keep it up but I just don't know if I can do it anymore Sorry for whining I just don't know what else to do

Default Re: Help

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new Lo. I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right now. Do not apologize for telling us how you feel Tell us more! How can we help support you?

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

i know how u feel my lo came to me when my son turned 12mo...talk about trying to be supermom...yes its hard aside from trying to be successful at bf, but it gets easier...my 6yr old helped alot she played with my son while i bf and not all the time he wants my attention but theres alot of times i have to pick him up kiss, hug, and sit him beside me as i bf...its not easy but dont give up ur lo needs bm its best! sorry i dont have a solution but we are here!

Hi there

I'm sorry you're feeling so stressed and overwhelmed! From your post, it seems like you have two issues. One is that you feel like your family is being neglected because breastfeeding takes so much time, and the other is that you're exhausted.

Many mothers say they feel overwhelmed and stressed those first few weeks. Nursing a newborn is a time-consuming task! But it does seem to get easier for many mothers by the time the baby is 4-6 weeks old. You and baby know what you're doing, you've settled into a routine, baby gets a little faster with nursing and goes a little bit longer between feedings.

How old are your older kids? Are they old enough to be involved in helping with the baby, or are they still very young? Some mothers find it helpful to keep a "nursing basket" with toys/crafts/snacks/videos that they can only get into when mom is nursing baby! Here is an article that gives some good suggestions:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/priorities.html
    and another one with some good suggestions on how to include dad:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/dad.html

I'm sure many of our regular posters would be happy to chime in with ideas for caring for older children while nursing as well!

As for being tired, I'm assuming your 2 week old is like many his age and gets up a lot at night . Have you considered taking your baby to bed with you? Many mothers find this helps them get some rest and that they quickly learn to sleep through feeding sessions. Here is an article that can tell you how to safely co-sleep:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/cosleep.html

I can't stress enough that it WILL get easier if you can just stick with it for a little longer!
    Hang in there!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I think the two week growth spurt is really hard for a lot of moms. You aren't alone. Hang in there! It does get so much easier.

I completely understand what you are going through!
    I have an almost 5 year old who was completely used to he and I doing EVERYTHING together. It has been so hard to find balance just with playing and especially with the time it takes to bf.

I hate to admit this, but there is a lot (more than I ever imagined) of t.v. happening now and I can't feel guilty about it. I feed dd, hopefully put her down for a nap and then run to play with my son. The cycle continues all day! Sometimes we are lucky and get 1 hour in sometimes dd wants to nurse 45 min to an hour later and out comes the snack and t.v. Yes I try and get my son to play alone also- but depending on the time of day whatever works- I do. It's great if I can get a playdate with one of his friends to come over and the mom stays- that is very helpful.

I figure it has to get easier one of these week!! My daughter is 3 weeks and a couple of days old now and my son is becoming used to things- so I suppose it is getting easier.

Lauren

Those first two weeks are definitely tricky, especially when you have other LO's at home that rely on you! Try to hang in there- you'll be happy that you did!!!

Thanks guys for your support ! I am still bf and somedays are better then others I just hope the bad days get farther and farther spaced out. I am so happy on one hand to be successful at feeding and so stressed on the other. It is nice to know I'm not alone.