Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing solids and Juice - and chubby baby

Unhappy Introducing solids and Juice - and chubby baby

my son is 7 mos old, and is just now starting solids. He eats rice or oatmeal baby cereal at lunch, and then has some fingerfoods like cheerios or veggie-rice puffs. He nurses on-demand, which varies day-to-day so much that there really is no average. "how many times per day" is a dreaded question. I've been giving him 2oz of Juice diluted with another 2oz of water in a bottle once a day. I tried with a sippy cup, but he doesn't get it yet. He has more solids at dinner time, usually baby cereal mixed with some veggies or some meat and veggie mix. From reading the posts, I've been giving him quite a bit more solids than what everyone else is doing. And I didn't see much on juice... I was wondering if I should ease up on the solids, and only give him a few teaspoons, and revert to doing more bfing. Should I continue giving him juice in a bottle or keep trying with the cup until he gets it?

Also, he is a very, very pudgy baby. So much so that I'm a bit concerned. He's 7 mos old, like I mentioned, and he's wearing size 12 mos clothes, some of which don't fit over his legs. Soon he'll be wearing 18mos sizes, and I'll have to roll up the sleeves and pantlegs on them. I am obese, and I definately don't want my son to be... could my breastmilk be too fatty? or could it be that I'm feeding him too often, and not trying to calm him or distract him? Should I try calming him in other ways when he seems hungry? Or am I worrying for nothing, and I shoud just be content to have a happy, rolly-polly baby?

Thanks, Amanda

Default Re: Introducing solids and Juice - and chubby baby

Hi,

I won't be able to answer any of the questions about solids, since we are still easing into them, but I can address the part about the chubby baby.

My baby is the same age and size! He'll be 7 months next week and is solidly (a bad pun, sorry ) in the 12-month clothing range. My understanding is that breastfed babies gain weight quickly at the beginning and then slow down. That has been the case with DS--he only gained about 1 1/2 pounds between 4 and 6 months. Our doctor is not at all worried and has been delighted with his size and general health.

Here is a non-LLL reference on breastfed babies' weight gain:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...t-toomuch.html
    It would seem to imply you might want to slow down on the solids.

I hope that helps. Congratulations on your son!

I can understand your fears, and I hope that what I have to say will help.

First off...your milk is not too fatty! It is PERFECT for your son!

Juice doesn't need to be a part of your sons diet right now. He is not getting any nutrition from it, if he needs a drink, it should be breast milk. If you want to work on getting him to drink from a sippy cup, try pumped breast milk in one! My oldest child did not have any juice until after he was 2!

I would also ease up on the solids. Breastfeed him first, then offer just a little bit of solids. Really right now food is just to play with, and breastmilk should be his main nutrition. Many babies don't even start solids until closer to their first birthday.

I am not sure your story, or reason for obesity, but the most important thing to instill in your child is healthy eating habits, for everyone. Offering healthy and nutritious foods can help combat any genetic predisposition for your son to be obese.

Good luck!

Sarah

Is your son cruising or motoring around at all yet? If not, once he starts getting active, you will probably see him "thin out" for lack of a better word. I know many "chubby" BF babies that evened out their weight once they started moving around more. I would cut out the juice, BM or formula is the main source of nutrition for the first 6 mos & then juice really isn't necessary either. I'd stick to BM or a few sips of water if you think he needs it. But always nurse or EBM first, then solids. As for the solids, there is some good info and sample menus on kellymom.com or I'm sure the other pps will have good advice. We just started them at 6 mos so I'm of no help on that issue!

Good Luck and keep BFing!!

Hey there, the other women answered just as I would. My son is 8 1/2 mos. old. He only eats 2-3 Tbs. of a veggie at lunch and half a jar of oatmeal at dinner for solids. He has no juice either. He is a chubby little fella weighing in at 20 lbs. His weight gain has really slowed down since he is so active. He is mostly in 12 mos. clothing as well. As previously stated cut the juice and limit solids and things will be just fine. Also, we are just now getting accustomed to the sippy cup. I put water in it so he can learn and practice getting liquids from it. He is doing much better now and can almost drink out of it on his own, he does every now and then. Good luck and have fun with that little one of yours!

thanks for the info. Johnny is just starting to scoot along on the floor, and he loves jumping around in his play saucer. we cut back on the solids today, and fed mostly bm, a few finger foods and half a jar of veggies at dinner. he seems content with everything, so we'll keep it up!

amanda

Smile Re: Introducing solids and Juice - and chubby baby

Just wanted to get an update.

Also, I'm sure you all know, baby clothing sizes are so off. I've had a very chubby baby and a long lean baby and the sizes were off for both. Don't let the clothing sizes worry you.

Deb