Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: don't get much milk when I pump

Default don't get much milk when I pump

hi-

In the early mornings my dd isn't very hungry and I need to pump bec. it's uncomfortable. I only get 3oz from a breast that has gone about 3 hours with no feedings. The other side is the same or less.

My dd is totally satisfied and happy after she eats so i'm not too concerned now, but for the future when she gets older and needs more milk, will my body accomodate her??

I realize I should just take things one day at a time, but can't help wondering.

Thanks
    Lauren

Default Re: don't get much milk when I pump

Hi Lauren
    How old is your daughter? Pumping that much isn't bad at all, and isn't an indicator of how much she's actually getting from you when she nurses. Your body will definitely accommodate her as she gets older. My son will be twelve weeks old tomorrow, and I can see differences in the amount I pump at work (I pump 2-3 times a day depending on whether I can come home for lunch) as his intake increases.
    Paula

Thanks Paula-

My dd is 3 weeks old. I guess I got concerned bec. I see that some women can pump like 8 oz!!

Lauren

Your body will learn to adjust. For now just feed on demand so you establish a good supply. My LO is almost 5 months now and drinks 7 ounces at each of his 4 feedings. As they get bigger they will feed less often and your body willl adjust.

So far I'm been able to keep up with him, pumping while at work and nursing him in the evenings and weekends. I drink nursing mom's tea by yogi and keep fenugreek capsules close by when I feel I need a boost. Good luck
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

3 ounces is actually quite a bit! Here's some info from kellymom.com:

Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).

the link for the article this came from, which has lots more info is http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

I can't remember where i read it, but i read somewhere that between like 4 weeks and 6 months, bf babies consume about 24 ounces per day. it doesn't really go up like ff babies. can anyone else help me out on this one? i'll try to keep looking for a source for this. anyways, your body will absolutely respond down the line if/when she needs more. trust your body!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

found it!

In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same between one and six months (though it likely increases short term during growth spurts). Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby's age or weight between one and six months. After six months, breastmilk intake will continue at this same level until -- sometime after six months, depending in baby's intake from other foods -- baby's milk intake begins to decrease gradually (see below).

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).

Hi Lauren

Your body will continue to make plenty of milk for your daughter! There's no need to worry about hanging on to any "extra" supply.

The amount you're pumping sounds perfectly reasonable, as other posters have noted. However, I wanted to point out that pumping is also a poor indicator of your milk supply. Your body will always respond to your baby better than it will respond to a machine

There's no need for you to continue to pump in the mornings (unless you wish to so you can keep a small milk storage). Part of the reason you continue to be uncomfortable in the mornings is probably because you are pumping. If you want to cut out that a.m. pumping session, you can start pumping just to relieve discomfort (without emptying the breast) and your body will gradually start making less at that time of day. It won't affect your overall milk supply at all!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I definately feel better.

I need to go back to work in Sept. (I am so so sad about that) so I will continue the a.m. pump to try and store up.

If dd does nurse well in am I only get about 1/2oz to 1oz when I pump so it is slow going with the storage. Does that amount sound normal after a feeding?

Thanks again!!
    Lauren

Lauren- yes that amount after a feeding sounds very normal, maybe even high. Even though your breasts are constantly making more, right after a feeding there wouldn't be much left to pump out. You're doing great!

Also remember that you don't need much of a supply in the freezer because you will always be pumping more milk each day while you're at work which many people find is enough for the next day's feeding.

Thank you again!
    I totally forgot I will be pumping everyday for the next day.
    Would you pump the same time your baby used to feed? Or do you just go every couple of hours?? How do you work it?

Lauren