Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latching

Default latching

After 3 1/2 months, I am finally comfortable with my breastfeeding situation - I pump a few ounces a day, BF when he will actually stand a full feeding, and supplement with maybe 5-7 oz per day.

But - I still question his latch. I was told I have a low milk supply by my LC but I think it is getting lower b/c he STILL has a bad latch. I cannot get this little guy to get more of the areola in his mouth. I have been trying for 3 months now!

I guess I have large nipples so my my question is, would the larger nipple affect how much of the areola gets into his mouth, therefore reducing the amount of milk he can pull out? I don't know if this makes much sense but I definitely feel my supply lowering and I really don't want to increase supplement.

Default Re: latching

Good for you to be nursing your LO! You say that you do pump, so I'm curious as to why you are supplementing? Nursing is supply and demand and the low supply issue may be due to the supplementing. What has your LC done to help you with your latch? Is this an experienced LC? I don't know that the nipple size would cause a problem, but I don't know. Hopefully someone else will help with that. I do know that the more you nurse, the more milk you will have. If you can drop out the supplement and "demand" more milk from your body, you will increase your supply. Hang in there and let us know how it's going.

Default Re: latching

When i supplement, i always make sure i pump. But i cant pump enough to only give ebm. He just cant get full from my breast. The majority of the time he is at my breast, he is just sucking and little swallowing. I can tell when
    i let down b/c he finally starts to suck harder for maybe 30 seconds, then its over. And that only happens every few minutes.