Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unconsolable crying (spelling??)

Default Unconsolable crying (spelling??)

My ds will be 4 mo on Sunday and for the last 2 nights he has been crying nonstop. He will be sound asleep, I will lie him down and 10-20 min later he wakes up crying. Sometimes he will comfort nurse and others not. He has been DROOLING like crazy and is constantly either putting things in his mouth or gnawing on his hands. Tonight I put him on my breast and he would suck, come off crying, latch himself back on, suck and come off crying. I know there is milk, becasue I can hand express it. If he is teething, how do I get him to nurse in the evenings when my let down is slow. Should I give him a bottle?
    I gave him 3 all natural teeting tablets tonight and he is still crying. How do I keep my supply up with this problem?
    TIA,

Default Re: Unconsolable crying (spelling??)

Some people swear by the teething tabs...I myself am all for tylenol. Sounds like teething... It will get better!

Poor baby -- he sounds miserable. It does sound like classic teething behavior, with the drooling and hand-chewing.

Treat his pain with whatever works -- if he's more comfortable, he will probably sleep better and almost certainly nurse better. To help with nursing, try giving him a frozen wet washcloth to chew on when he pulls off the breast -- it may numb him up enough to go back on after a minute or two.

At 4mos, if BFing has been going well, your supply should be well established enough that a few nights of disrupted nursing won't impact it much. Once your body gets really good at lactating, most women find that they don't get engorged, they don't have much trouble making milk when baby needs it. So don't feel like you have to hassle with pumping if you don't want to.

Hope this episode passes quickly and your baby is happy once again. Hang in there!

--Rebecca

It does sound like teething. Try a little Orajel a few minutes before nursing. Or maybe some Tylenol about a half-hour before bed/nursing.

Could it be an ear infection? My dd had trouble nursing when she had an ear infection. She'd pop on and off, crying. I would give her Tylenol just before bed--it seemed to help.

To speed up my let down at night, I drink a huge glass of water as I nurse--chug chug chug. It works like a charm

Even my DD was behaving like that during weekend.
    Finallly checked with Ped and found she has throat infection.I even saw red
    color bumps on her throat.
    I'm also worried about my supply.I'm giving her tylenol.
    Check with u'r doctor.

Thanks
    Mangai

my 3 mo old already rubs her gums with her fingers and although she doesn't have any tooth buds yet i like the homeopathic colic tablets. they dissolve fast and she seems to like the taste, they also work well and fast but tylenol is amazing too!!

what are the homeopathic colic tablets and can i find them at whole foods? (sorry for any typos in advance, pumping while yyping)

to keep my supply up, i am pumping as frequently as possible (every 2 hous permitting ds is not tooo fussy!!)

do you think it could also be related to us being on a flight twice this past weekend? we flew to nm where the altitude is different and he had way too mmuch stimulii? the only thing is he is not pulling at his ears..........
    i really think it is teething though, because today i let him suck on my knuckle and he was actually biting it not sucking..