Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Return to work PT or FT??

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • PT

8 44.44%
  • FT

10 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to work PT or FT??

Post Return to work PT or FT??

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is the first time I'm posting. I can't express how greatful I am to have this medium where we can support and understand each other. This is why I wanted to ask your opinions on my situation.

I'll be returning to work in 2 weeks and my son will be almost 4 months old. I have the opportunity to work 30 hrs a week and remain FT. I'd be working 2, 8hr days, a 9 hr day and a 5 hr day. This would allow me to keep FT benefits, which are less expensive and extra saving money.

My other option is to work PT 2 8hr days, a 5 hr day and attend a 1 hr weekly meeting. This would allow me to spend more time with my son and would be easier with breastfeeding, but would cost more since benefits would be more expensive and we'd have less income.

my dilemma is that i'm not sure what to do. I can afford to work PT and i love the idea of spending more time with my son. On the other hand I like the idea of saving for our families future and it's just one more day. I know that money can never replace time, but money can also make things easier.

I also don't know if i'm worrying so much because i'm having a hard time dealing with going back to work and I think i've been very fortunate to have been able to stay on leave for so long, but i just have no idea what to do!

Id really love to know what you all think, since i'm sure a lot of you have been in the same situation.

Much Love!
    Liz

Default Re: Return to work PT or FT??

I'm working full time, and it's really hard. I'm about to quit or at least scale back to PT, and I can't wait! I keep thinking about how we won't be able to save much, if at all, but my baby will only be a baby for so long, and there will be plenty of time to work and make up for lost savings later. It's a tough decision for everyone to make, but I say if you can swing part time, go for it! You'll get a break from baby stuff and interaction with adults, but still get to spend plenty of time watching your babe grow. It will be tough making sure things get done around the house, but if you're anything like me, you'll get to the point where the dust bunnies don't bother you so much...

Good luck!

If you can afford it financially to work part time, I'd do it. I'm a full time working mom and it breaks my heart every time I drop my DD at daycare. I risk missing her first steps, her first words, her first many things. Every minute I am at work I wish I could be with her. I envy moms that can stay home with their precious ones and wish that I could be among them. I would consider the opportunity priceless if I had it. I hope you choose to take it!

I agree with trying for part time - I went back to work 3 days a week after my oldest was born, was back up to 4 days a week after my ds was born, and now that we've had our third I've gone back to 3 days again. I found a huge difference in that extra day and am much happier being back to 3 days a week again. I unfortunately get no benefits being part time but wouldn't give up the extra time at home with my children for the world

I am in total agreement with the previous posters. I started back to work fulltime (40+) and after about 6 weeks of that met with my boss and asked if it would be possible to cut back. I am still technically working fulltime, (33 hours) but I am loving having the 3 day weekend. I actually have time for housework and family time now!!!! I wish I could cutback more, but we can't afford it. My husband really didn't want me to cutback, but I was sooo tired and (I now believe) suffering from ppd, and the extra day did make a difference. And we barely even missed the extra income.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

PT. I work fulltime and my dd is 8 months. I would love to quit all together, but there is now way we can afford it right now. PT isn't even an option in my current position, but I have been thinking about looking for something else. Less hours and closer to home...

If you can afford it, do it. You don't get these days back. They are here now, if you can enjoy them and spend the time, you should. When you go back to work FT in the furture you can save then.

Personally I would go for the full time thing: only 4 days a week including a short day, that seems like a good deal to me. But I guess it also depends how much you like or hate your job. You only talked about the money and benefits, not about whether it will be good, on some level, for YOU to go back to work. And the money couldn't hurt. I was lucky because my job has flexible hours; I'm still theoretically full time, but I can fix my schedule more or less for myself, work 4 days a week or whatever. I think the 8 and 9 hour days will definitely be hard. I found pumping annoying and boring, I wished I could just nurse; and there were certainly days when I was supposed to be working, but just spent a lot of time staring into space and missing my daughter. On the other hand, for me personally, my work is very important to me. I feel proud of myself for working as well as being an attached parent. I love spending time with my daughter. But I admit, I also get bored. And I know that she is growing up fast and that means, to me, not just that I want to spend a lot of time with her, but also that I want to be a fulfilled person, not turn round and guilt-trip her about what I sacrificed for her sake. So I think you should think about whether you'll feel good for doing the full time thing, both for financial reasons and also for your own mental life.

Wow! Fulltime benefits for 30 hours a week? That's great! If you have the option, perhaps you can try full time and see how it works out. You may find yourself surprised at how well the transition goes. I work fulltime and have since my son was 10 weeks old. When I returned to work, I was really surprised at how happy I was to be back at my job as an attorney. I actually felt guilty that I did not feel more guilty about being back at work, if that makes sense. Now, my son is 11 months old (still nursing strong) and I really think that I am a better mom because I work. The time we spend together is truly quality time. He gets my undevided attention in the evenings and on weekends and I really don't feel like I have missed anything. My son loves his sitter and is always really excited to get to her house on Monday mornings to see her and her daughter. In the end, everyone has to find what works best for their family. For us, my return to fulltime work has worked well for everyone!

I'd go for PT, if it balances okay for the family financially. You said it....this opportunity to be home with the babies only comes along once. I work half-time in a very professional environment. I have a decent position, though know that if I agreed to work a bit more, I could have an even more remarkable position. But, I am just not ready to sacrifice any of my time to a career that I've already designated to my girls. There will be plenty of time for career ambitions later in life when the girls are a bit older. Hopefully your employer will allow you to go back to full-time (if you were to choose the PT route) when your child is older.

Good Luck!

...one other thought...

My good friend's mom stopped working until her kids were in school. She retired a few years ago as a vice president of her company. Just a reminder that we CAN take breaks from our careers to raise our kids, and still have fulfilling work lives later on. My friend's mom now is volunteering in a completely different field. Her priorities have just continued to shift as her life changed through the years.

Anyway, do what works best for your family in the end, but whatever choices you make, try not to have any regrets later. Life's way too short for regrets but long enough for fresh starts!