Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Amount of time for nursing session for 12 month old?

Default Amount of time for nursing session for 12 month old?

My DS is 12 months and nurses probably 3 -4 times during the day and 3-4 times at night. We co sleep so I have no idea how long the night sessions are (except our really long one at 4 am)..during the day he only nurses about 5, maybe 10 mintues..is this long enough? I never feel engorged or anything like that, but I haven't felt that way in a long time. How long do your babies nurse at a time?

Default Re: Amount of time for nursing session for 12 month old?

I would say that DD nurses for about 5-10 minutes, too. At this age they've become so efficient at getting the milk out that it takes no time. At night when we nurse down or if she wakes to nurse in the night it often lasts longer because she falls asleep nursing rather than nursing, then deciding it's time to get down and play.

I was amazed how much faster my ds became. What used to take 45-60 minutes is now 5-10 also!

10 minutes of nursing would be like an eternity for us! My daughter rarely nurses longer than 5 minutes, and sometimes less than that. She's done this since around 7-8 months. She is certainly growing well, so I'm not worried!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

unless it's at night when he's kind of sleepy but hanging on to the day, he will go his longest, maybe 15-20 minutes. Usually 5-10 minutes.

My ds is 14 months and probably nurses between 10 times a day for about 5-10 min each session. He is an emotional nurser so when he gets upset or hurts himself, he wants to nurse. And when he is tired, so he nurses to sleep for his two naps a day and to go to sleep at night. He has just started eating solids, but his main source of food is still BM.

My 12mo daughter nurses on and off all day. I couldn't tell you how long the sessions go now. We use to co sleep but at around 9mo I moved her in with her sister bc I moved to much during the night and my husband, my younges daughter and I were not getting enough sleep. I'd say my sessions last from 5-15mins long. It just depends at night especially when she just wants to suck. Then she ends up back in bed with me. But ever since she was born she never nursed for more then 15-20 mins.

Question....
    how long do you plan to breast feed? I want to go until she turns 2, but after that I don't know. I'm so glad that I got to breast feed my youngest cuz I didn't get to brestfeed my oldest...basically due to lack of support and knowledge and asseritveness. I'd also have to start explaining why to my husband and our families who think that once a baby turns 1 they shouldn't nurse anymore.
    Alaskan Momma-KimieSue

Hi kimiesue,
    How wonderful you've been able to nurse your youngest and you are looking forward to continuing your breastfeeding relationship! Each mother/baby pair is different in their nursing goals. You might find these links to articles helpful.
    LLL site: Extended Breastfeeding (Beyond One Year)
    Non-LLL site: Nursing After the First Year
    HTH!
    Mary