Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do at the sitter's?

Default What do you do at the sitter's?

I'm ordering some books about extended breastfeeding, which will perhaps answer my question, but I wanted some ideas now to put my mind at rest.

My little guy is home with me for the summer, but will start a new sitter in August, at which time he will be 13 months. I know we will still be nursing at that point, so what do I do about the sitter? Do I still send bottles? Will he eat just solids during the day for her? Will he nap for her without nursing??? What do I need to be doing during the summer to get him ready?

My stomach is in turmoil, because our last sitter was very NOT breastfeeding friendly and she made me feel like I was a bad mother for nursing my son to sleep. (And by the way, if there was another way to do it, I WOULD!!!!) So I'm nervous about what our new sitter will say about extended bfing. I don't want to be worrying about this all summer . . . give me input that will make me feel better!

Default Re: What do you do at the sitter's?

Do you attend LLL meetings? Maybe you could find a mom there who wants a sitting job?

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

We (the sitter and I) decided to wean Haylee off bottles around 12 months. We were both in agreement that we woudl take it slowly, but Haylee really gave them up easily, so no need to take it slow, really, and 2 weeks later she was bottle free. She doesn't drink as much milk now though, and I dont' send breastmilk at all. I really don't see any reason to tell your sitter, if you are uncomfortable doing so. That's the great thing about toddler nursing--you may be able to avoid that discussion. Or have the discussion for the sake of promoting extended nursing--up to you !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by rmccoy View Post

My stomach is in turmoil, because our last sitter was very NOT breastfeeding friendly and she made me feel like I was a bad mother for nursing my son to sleep. (And by the way, if there was another way to do it, I WOULD!!!!) So I'm nervous about what our new sitter will say about extended bfing. I don't want to be worrying about this all summer . . . give me input that will make me feel better!
    Remember this. anybody who you pay works for you! It doesn't matter what they think. If it really won't work out, then see if there are any other sitters available. And when interviewing someone to watch your baby, ask these things. Ask how they will deal with feeding, sleeping, and what they think about breastfeeding. But don't give them an opportunity to find out about you first. You want as honest answers as possible.

If your methods aren't good enough for them, then perhaps your money is too good for them. KWIM? Who you hire is not the boss.

good luck!
    Last edited by mommajoliska; June 16th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

I agree she works for you.
    If you want to send a bottle for nap time then do!
    at that age they still have a great need for sucking.
    A bottle at nap time woudn't be that strange, if thats how hes used to nappnig. Getting used to new day care is always a big adjustment! Try and change as little as you can that will help baby get used to the new sitter.
    good luck!
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    Do you attend LLL meetings? Maybe you could find a mom there who wants a sitting job?
    Nope . . . the nearest LLL is over 100 miles from us AND it's in another time zone, so that makes it nearly impossible. So that isn't really an option, even though it would be a perfect one!

I do need to visit with this gal in person - I know that - I just get really anxious because of my last experience. (Many of you may remember my thread about the sitter that told me I was crazy for not feeding my baby cereal, nursing him at nap time, etc.!!) I was with her for a year because I truly could not get in to anyone else that was better.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    If you want to send a bottle for nap time then do!
    at that age they still have a great need for sucking.
    A bottle at nap time woudn't be that strange, if thats how hes used to nappnig.
    andrea
    It is nice to hear about other experiences and ideas about how to go about this as though everything is "normal", because for us, it will be! I only work 3 days a week, but I want everything to be as close to home as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I really don't see any reason to tell your sitter, if you are uncomfortable doing so. That's the great thing about toddler nursing--you may be able to avoid that discussion. Or have the discussion for the sake of promoting extended nursing--up to you !
    You're so right! I just needed to hear it - again!

Quote Originally Posted by mommajoliska View Post

If your methods aren't good enough for them, then perhaps your money is too good for them. KWIM? Who you hire is not the boss.
    You're right . . . you're right! Thank you!

rmccoy:

If you need to hear those words again, at any time, let any of us know, and I'm sure we will all be happy to tell them to you again!

sometimes a person needs to hear it a ton of times before it can be remembered and used.

Quote Originally Posted by mommajoliska View Post

If you need to hear those words again, at any time, let any of us know, and I'm sure we will all be happy to tell them to you again!

Hello fellow Nebraskan! I'm in Nebraska too! I've lucked out with the sitter situation. Mine was very BF friendly. I'm still nursing my 18mo old lo and another mom there is tandem nursing a 2 year old and 4 year old! Our sitter just kinda says, "It works for you...I don't think I could do it personally but hey if it works for you great." I'm going to be starting daycare in August adn I'm definitely BF friendly!! With the parents I've interviewed with they've told me their child's eating habits, favorite foods, nap habits etc. For example I'll be watching a set of 19mo old twins and their mom said that they will eat anything adn go down for naps in a packnplay and always play for about 10 minutes before deciding to actually take a nap. My lo has never had a problem going down for naps for my current sitter. She cried the first day and that was it. She's been there since she was 6 weeks old and I'm sad we're leaving her because my lo won't nap for me without nursing and being held. That's going to be tough to do when I'm watching other kids too. I'll make it work though. As for advice I'd say if you aren't comfortable telling your sitter then don't. I would tell her that you don't want your lo to have to "cry it out" for naps though if that's something you don't want. Many times a child will sleep for a sitter better than they will for a parent because they learn what to expect from each and how to deal with each different person. I wish you were closer to a LLL group....ours is awesome! Good luck!
    Cathy
    Wife since 06-96
    Mom of DS born 12-96, DD#1 born 9-98 and DD#2 born 11-05

I wish I had a LLL group, too!! Thanks for your input, and nice to hear from someone in Nebraska! You are probably clear on the other end, but it seems closer when you're from the same state. I wish you were closer so August, (my lo) could come to YOU! :-)