Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: set in her ways!!

Default set in her ways!!

I am trying to get my dd to take a bottle of em once a day so I can run to the office or on an appt and not have to worry about getting back home intime to feed her. We have been trying for about 3 weeks and all she will take at any given time (if she will take any) is 1 to 2 oz. I am wondering since I have an OALD if she is not getting milk fast enough out of the bottle and then gives up. I have tried stage 1 and stage 2 nipples and it has not seemed to make a difference. My dh has been giving her the bottle bless his heart he is so patient and tries and tries and tries. When she gets really upset we just quit and I bf her. are we teaching her that if she cries she get the real deal or is she to young to know this? Should we not give in and just keep giving her the bottle and while she just take it if she get hungry enough. Hopefully that is not the answer b/c I don't know if I could bear watching that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Second question on pumping, with my OS she only nurses on breast at each feeding. When pumping should I just pump the other side or should I wait to stimulate another feeding? I don't want to cause anymore supply problems than I already have.
    Last edited by sarahs1; June 16th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Default Re: set in her ways!!

how old is baby?
    she might not take more then 1-2 oz at a time and if that works for her then it would be ok.

She will be 13 wo tomorrow. wow how time flies.

Sometimes babies will not take the bottle when mom is at home... they're too smart to get tricked into the bottle when they know that the real spply is around (or something)...

I used to run out to the drug store or somewhere close.

Maybe try taking a walk around the block the next time you're trying to give the baby a bottle.

We also couldn't get dd to eat from anything except the "Breastflow" bottle. It's suppossed to simulate let down.

Good Luck!

1-2oz is a very normal amount for a 13wo to take from a bottle. Breastfed babies prefer short, frequent feedings. It would be rare to see a breastfed baby consume the 8oz bottles we are used to seeing formula fed babies eat.

HTH,

Tiana