Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oald?

Default Oald?

I know there are lots of threads on OALD, and from reading them, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm dealing with. Could someone (or several someones) weigh in?

Baby is 7 wo. Breasts (especially the right side) are often quite full, especially first thing in the morning. After baby latches on, she will often take herself right off and fuss and pull her head back. Meanwhile, the breast does not spray milk, but it drips and drips and drips. She acts hungry and continues to try to latch on, but keeps taking herself off. Sometimes this is instant, and other times she will nurse for a while before she starts fussing. She gets really angry and I have to stop nursing her because it's just not working.

She definitely gets a lot of milk, because she takes huge gulps and occasionally will cough and sputter. Sometimes it doesn't seem to bother her (esp. at night), and she keeps up with the fast flow, but other times she just can't seem to nurse happily. A couple of times milk has come out of her nose.

I can't figure out why else she would be so fussy and upset while nursing, since normally it's the one thing that really calms her. Any input?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: Oald?

That could definitely be the case. I would take a look at this article, try some of the suggestions and let us know how they work for you. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html Have you tried letting your milk drip into a cloth until it slows down, then try nursing her again? The spitting up you mention in your signature can also be b/c of OALD.

Thanks. I did find that article a while ago and will try some of it. LO does not like when I make her stop while I express or let the milk drip, but I guess it's still better than the fussing and not nursing. Why is it that sometimes she doesn't seem to mind the fast and abundant flow and others she does? Does it just have to do with her particular mood at the moment? (She doesn't mind it at all at night, but gets fussy in the afternoon or evening.)

The afternoon/evening tend to be fussy times for a lot of babies. It might be that she wants to comfort suck and is annoyed with the fact that she is getting a lot of milk to go with it. Just an idea...

We have a similar situation, and my ds is like yours in that sometimes he can keep up perfectly fine, while other times it causes him to fuss to no end. One thing I have found is that it helps if I can nurse him (or at least offer the breast) the second he wakes up, before he's even fully awake. He naps on our bed, so I just lay down beside him and nurse belly-to-belly.
    I don't know how you feel about pacifiers, but I've found it to be very useful - if he gets so upset that he can't nurse at all, I give him the pacifier and let him comfort suck on that for a few minutes until he's calmed down, and then try feeding from the breast again.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by ProudMom2007; June 16th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

OMG! I could have written this post. In fact, I just posted something very similar in the "Too Much Milk!" section.

My baby will be 7 weeks old tomorrow and we are dealing with OALD and oversupply issues. The LC has me doing 6 hour block feedings, but I'm not sure if that is helping.

It seems that between 4 and 7 PM (and occasionally at other random times during the day) she'll nurse exactly as you describe--fussy, fighing, gulping, crying, etc. It's very frustrating and miserable for both of us. Other times (like the middle of the night and in the morning, especially), she's so peaceful and calm.

I read on the FAQ sheet for OALD that you can try holding your areola in a scissor hold, but I haven't had much luck with this...

I wish I had some suggestions for you that I could say definately work, but I'm struggling with this too, so I'm going to be watching to see if anyone else has advice for us. Good luck to you. I'll let you know if I discover anything that works.
    Last edited by mom2maggie; June 16th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Mom2Maggie,

Yes, I just realized there was an "Oversupply" forum. Should've posted there!

It is frustrating, isn't it?

I've been doing so much reading today that I'm not sure where I saw this, but I read somewhere that OALD is not as bad when baby is calmer/sleepier, because the way she sucks helps the milk flow slower. Maybe that's why our mornings and nights are more manageable.

I do have one question about block feeding that maybe someone can answer: Wouldn't the more frequent stimulation of one breast cause it to start producing more? I mean, I can understand that not using one breast for a longer period of time and just expressing enough to keep you comfortable will help the supply slow down a bit. But what about the other breast? Won't it start producing more in the meantime? Just curious.

Try nursing lying down. That worked for us. I had to do this until DD was about 4.5 months old. My DD would get so choked up from the OALD. Lying down helped us tremendously, since the milk didn't flow down so fast. I would lie down for every feeding to feed her. It was the only way I felt comfortable doing it.

I have started trying to make sure I'm leaned back enough that LO's head is above the nipple, so there's less chance of milk hitting the back of her throat. And sometimes if I'm really drippy I try to distract her for a minute so I can let some of the excess drip before I put her back on. It does seem to help some. We actually have not had a super fussy episode since the day before yesterday. Even this morning I was pretty full and she handled it ok. Hope that lasts!