Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still Hope?

Default Still Hope?

So I've been using a rented hosp. grade pump to establish my milk supply. Right now I've got 12 oz in the fridge and 8 in the freezer.

Just to try I offered her my breast after pumping because she didn't want to keep the paci in her mouth. I got her on a few times and she would suck, but not get much.

Ideas? I think I might still have a chance of her latching. I've gotten a routine with the pump, but it severely limits my time outside of the house. It's easier to get them on the boob in public than to warm a bottle and then pump.

Default Re: Still Hope?

there is definitely still hope. i had to pump for 2 months!
    just keep offering her the breast and one day she'll just start nursing like she had been all along! (at least thats what happened in our case!)
    good luck to you! and hang in there! pumping is alot harder than breastfeeding, IMO....but it is worth it in the end.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

I have seen several people on this sight as being successful! I'm so happy for you! Now try putting her on before you pump. Nursing in public may not be as hard as you imagine. Maybe you could tell us your concerns and we could help you find solutions! YIPPEE!

There is still hope. I would reccomend offering the breast at every opportunity- before pumping, bottles, and pacis. Let your baby snuggle next to the breast and cuddle with you as much as they want. It may not seem like there's much milk coming out, but it's probably more than it looks like (and the more the baby is there sucking, the more you will make).
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Here are the problems:

1) If I put her near the breast, she'll look for it, but then she'll scream. And scream. And scream.... then it's nearly impossible to calm her without feeding her and my supply is not huge at the moment.

2) She hates being naked.

3) She hates not being swaddled.

Is she having difficulty finding the nipple? Latching? My daughter would sometimes have trouble in the early weeks and get very upset. Are you worried about your freezer supply being too low, or your fresh from the breast supply? Any stimulation she gives your breast will, in the long run, help your supply.

She doesn't have to be naked if she doesn't like it. Do what keeps her happy, although you might try alternate methds of getting skin to skin contact. Have you tried a warm bath together? If she prefers the secure feeling of being swaddled, get in to bed together and try things that way.

Are you taking anything to boost your supply?

and hang in there!
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

I got her to take a breast last night and she nursed for 20 minutes. My nipple was getting sore so I detached her, then gave her the 2 oz bottle I'd warmed up.

She wouldn't sleep after that and fussed the whole time. She seems much more content after a bottle of Expressed Milk. Ah well. In a way it's kind of easier. I can usually change, feed, burp, pump, and put her down in about an hour.

I'm going through the exact same thing. My daughter is 2 months old-how old is yours? (I didn't see that you said) For me, she would latch, but would never be satisfied afterwards-only after I gave her a bottle of EBM like your LO. I just kept pumping and would offer her the breast at least a couple times a day, but I stopped feeling badly when it wouldn't work out. Then, out of nowhere, a few weeks ago, she nursed in the middle of the night and was satisfied! This has become a habit for her now. After a week of that, I have found that she has started moving to nursing early mornings too and is starting to do it more during the day as well. I think it might be due to the fact that I've started feeling a stronger letdown recently. You could try nursing her when she is sleepy-they seem to fight it less when they are

At this point, I'm not going to put pressure on myself that I HAVE to get her to nurse-as long as she is getting BM and is happy, that is what I care about. Keep up the good work! Sometimes I felt like I wasn't REALLY breastfeeding because I was pumping, but you ARE!

A pumping tip: if you feel like your supply isn't really built up that much yet, don't PUSH yourself to freeze milk yet. I tried to do the same thing and would always have to use the frozen milk because my supply was pretty low. It was somewhere around 6 weeks that I noticed my supply really got going and now I have over 100 oz frozen. Just be patient, it will happen.

Hi Krystal

It's encouraging that your baby is willing to take the breast occasionally. It does concern me that you report soreness after she nurses. I strongly suggest you get someone to check her latch in person. You could contact a LLL Leader (see the link in my signature) or an IBCLC to help you with this.

In the meantime, here is an article that can give you some ideas for persuading baby to take the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/back.html

You might also consider visiting our relactation forum, as the ladies there will have a lot of helpful suggestions for getting baby to the breast.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Jen: I thought that might be it. I experience some pretty intense pain when I first pump; but it usually goes away within 1 minute as soon as the milk flows.
    Sara: I have two nine ounce bottles that I store my milk in in the fridge. Once I fill one of them to about 10-11 oz and still have a feeding or two in the other is when I take what I pump and freeze it. Otherwise the milk goes straight into the nine ounce bottle that I'm working on filling.