Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning prem babies...

Default Weaning prem babies...

I have a 12wk prem baby. 5 weeks corrected. I just wanted to know when is the right time to wean her. I know the standard is 6mths for full term babies is it the same for prem babies?

Default Re: Weaning prem babies...

I have a preemie and he is 9 months (7 months corrected) and we are no where near weaning. I am a firm believer in baby led weaning. He will wean when he's ready. Ideally if it's something that you think you want to do and can do it is highly reccommended to continue breastfeeding throughout the first year and longer if you can. Your milk is really the only thing your baby needs for the first year especially for a preemie. There is no wrong or right time to wean its a very personal decision. If you're not sure what you want to do please consider continuing to breastfeed your LO. It's the best thing you can do for him/her. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you will make the right decision for you and your family.

there are lots of great things about nursing a baby for longer then 6 months!
    heres some info to get you started.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bflength.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBextended.html

Quote Originally Posted by belly-ice View Post
    I have a 12wk prem baby. 5 weeks corrected. I just wanted to know when is the right time to wean her. I know the standard is 6mths for full term babies is it the same for prem babies?
    no. It is reccommended that you do it for at least 6 months adjusted, but highly reccommended that it is done longer (preferably at least to 1 year) because even more than regular needs babies, preemies really need the extra help.

It is recommended that you nurse EXCLUSIVELY for 6 months and continue nursing with complimentary foods for 12 months according to the AAP, or 2 years according to the WHO. After that it's up to you and baby and what your preferences are.

Good luck and remember, it does get easier and better with time and practice!