Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green poops

Default green poops

i've done a search here and have seen lots on different colored poops. but, nothing seems real clear about the green ones. every few days my ds will have dark green poops. i've been assuming that it is related to what i've eaten, like i had a big salad of various greens, pesto sauce, etc. but i've seen some things that are concerning me about green stools. what could be causing it? is it something to worry about? also, they smell different, not a good smell either. could he be reacting badly to something i've eaten?

basic info. to help....he is 11 weeks old, very normal weight (was 6 weeks early but already caught up to 'normal), looks very healthy, acts healthy but does have the occaisional really sleepy day, which i've always figured for normal too. he usually just feeds from one breast per feeding because he appears satisfied and won't take the other if offered, and eats on demand anywhere from an hour to 3 1/2 hours between feedings, longer at night.

i would greatly appreciate any advice!

Default Re: green poops

As long as he seems happy I wouldn't be too worried. Some times I think mucosy (sp?) green poops can indicate a virus, but it can also definately be related to something you eat. I asked about orange poops the other day and apparently LLL has a full color "poop sheet" that you can request from a local leader which shows what is normal for babies.

I seem to remember DS have dark greenish poops for a while when he was that young. It sounds like you are doing everything right, don't worry!

My baby also had green bm for a few weeks around the time she was 2 months. From what I know, the color doesn't really matter as long as the baby is happy and thriving. Here is some good info on green stools:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...tm#GreenStools

Quote Originally Posted by kellyjane
    i've done a search here and have seen lots on different colored poops. but, nothing seems real clear about the green ones. every few days my ds will have dark green poops. i've been assuming that it is related to what i've eaten, like i had a big salad of various greens, pesto sauce, etc. but i've seen some things that are concerning me about green stools. what could be causing it? is it something to worry about? also, they smell different, not a good smell either. could he be reacting badly to something i've eaten?

basic info. to help....he is 11 weeks old, very normal weight (was 6 weeks early but already caught up to 'normal), looks very healthy, acts healthy but does have the occaisional really sleepy day, which i've always figured for normal too. he usually just feeds from one breast per feeding because he appears satisfied and won't take the other if offered, and eats on demand anywhere from an hour to 3 1/2 hours between feedings, longer at night.

i would greatly appreciate any advice!
    last week mine was 11 weeks old as well, and had green poo for about 4 or 5 days. we're back to runny mustard yellow again